Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #1

3170DS modifications

Has anyone removed the bunks and if so what did you replace with? Recliner, desk, etc. Also thinking of replacing couch with love seat recliners. Has anyone made these modifications? Thanks
scoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #2

I haven't done any major modifications to our 3170 but maybe a office and/or laundry room??

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
rdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:06 AM   #3

There is a desk/office option along with more wardrobe space still available for the 3170. People who have it on here seemed to love it. It was a no cost option when I was shopping in 2012 You may be able to have yours converted or at least find some photos or one in stock somewhere that you could look at for ideas.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Factory desk option for ideas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Office Pic 4.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	64774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Office Pic 2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	64775   Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	64776  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:40 AM   #5

Thank you.
scoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #6

Can this mod be done after removing bunks? Can we order cabinets and desks from FR? The only difference I see would be the double windows. Any weight differences etc? Thnx
Yorkranchgalnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Commercial Member

I doubt there is much in the way of weight difference. We don't build that in a kit, so you'd basically just be ordering raw materials. We could theoretically build those and ship them but I'm guessing it would be a lot cheaper to build them yourself to match.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #8

I always thought it would be neat to replace the bunks with a table and chairs to work as the dining area. Then replace the front dinette with a recliner which would open up the living area. If the recliner was a little shorter the chassis passenger seat would have room to move back and/or recline.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #9

Finally unloading from Id/Wyo/Mt/Nv/Ca trip and thinking about bunk to desk mod.Seems like upper bunk deck could be removed and cut down and mounted on slide front wall as a fold-up desk-then a door put on back of slide for a tall cabinet broom vac closet!? My DH had recent shoulder surgery so won't be able to do any- even if I could talk him into messing with our new toy! I' m not experienced with mods wood work, so any advice would appreciated. Off topic, I did reupholster all valences in tooled leather-look fabric and made slip covers in same for dinette seat backs. Much classier and better for horse camping! Also put up metal back splash around stove an put up magnetic knife rack. Any advice from any of you incl BC would be appreciated. Thanks. Yorkranchgal
Old 11-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #10

Brian, would it be possible to order the face frame and tall single door from the option? Any idea of the price if it's possible? I would like to fashion a small utility broom closet at the end of the current bunk area, and use the top bunk deck lowered and made smaller as a fold down desk. I would want the wood work to match. Thanks for your time. Yorkranchgal.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
Commercial Member

If you have the size you should be able to order that through a dealer. I have no idea what the cost would be.

Tags
3170, cat, modifications