Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

3170ds on snow covered roads

Anyone have any feedback from experience driving the 3170ds on snow covered / snow packed roads? Traction, acceleration, braking, handling, etc? Live in Alaska and would like to use our MH more, but wondering how it handles in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Jstonecfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
phat phrog stunt crew

Slow and easy will be your best advice. Since you have all the comforts of home, when you get tired of driving on the stuff, park and make yourself at home.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #3

I have a feeling you'd do better than I being you live in Alaska and I live in central Texas. Haven't seen any real snow since 1985.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #4

Slowly. I haven't seen snow since... I looked out the window 30 minutes ago. Is it spring yet?
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstonecfi View Post
Anyone have any feedback from experience driving the 3170ds on snow covered / snow packed roads? Traction, acceleration, braking, handling, etc? Live in Alaska and would like to use our MH more, but wondering how it handles in the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

I've not yet driven my sunseeker in snow and don't really plan to unless it's an emergency. I have the luxury now of only going out in the snow by choice not by necessity 😄

But I have driven other similar class c models on the ford chassis in snow up to a foot deep. By and large they don't do bad at all.
The weight gives good traction and decent handling unless it's very icy. Of course the weight can work against you too when braking or going downhill.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #6

i have a 3050s on the ford and have little problems getting around in bad weather i live in mass and hve traveled to fla in a snow storm, hurricane and heavy rains. just go slow and pull over if you are not sure. i was taught a sudden change in speed or direction you cause you to lose control. i travel with six in the coach two teens , two young and my and wife keep on camping
oldnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #7

We live in Whitehorse Yukon. A couple of years ago we took a class C motor home down the Alaska Hwy in November. Went through Alberta, all through the Western States & right down into South Texas, returning to Canada & back up the Alaska Hwy in mid January.

I found the motorhome handled very well in the snow & ice. I did have new Michelin M&S tires installed before we left. There was 6" of fresh snow (& snowing) on the road from Ft. Nelson to Watson Lake. Didn't set any speed records but it handled very well even on the steep grades in the mountains. our motorhome had a GM chassis but I did drive a truck with a E450 chassis for many years and they are good as long as it has weight in the back.

So as long as you watch the speed & have good tires you should be fine IMHO
Gee Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Commercial Member

I've driven it during the winter from Calgary to Banff and back, hitting ski hills as I went. Handled great. They don't plow out there either..just throw gravel on it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3170, cover, snow