Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 11:52 AM   #1

3170DS shower door roller problem

Hi folks, the metal rollers on the glass shower door cracked and fell off. The glass door lucky did not brake when falling into tub. Anyone know the manufacturer and or how I can obtain replacement rollers. Thanks.
scoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:10 PM   #2

Mine constantly comes off the track at the bottom. In about done with ours and want to take out the whole assembly and install a simple curtain rod with curtain. Might even spring for one of those expandable curtain rods that give you more elbow room. Functional over "Frustrating Fancy" is what I'm going for... Its a vacation after all.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:16 AM   #3

Took our 3170 shower door off two years ago. Wouldn't stay on the track and rattled like crazy over bumps. Put the fold in-out rod up (had to shorten it a couple of inches) and now have no rattles and more shoulder room in the shower. Not as pretty, but a no brainier functionwise.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by budblack View Post
Took our 3170 shower door off two years ago. Wouldn't stay on the track and rattled like crazy over bumps. Put the fold in-out rod up (had to shorten it a couple of inches) and now have no rattles and more shoulder room in the shower. Not as pretty, but a no brainier functionwise.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Thanks budblack. Does it matter which end you shorten? Also where did you attach it too the wall. Do you have any pictures? The shower door is definitely coming out. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #5

Scoto, give me until this weekend and I'll be back with information and pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-30-2015, 04:19 PM   #6

X2 on the pictures please. Needed to convence my visually minded wife.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

i just close my eyes when taking a shower because i know if i open them the door will come apart. if i cant see it, the problem must not exist.
so when i make the mistake and open them, i will be interested in those pics too.
slvrpkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #8

I found a shower door like mine at Home Depot. When I e-mailed the manufacturer, they sent me an entire hardware set at no charge. They also sell an assortment of small metal wheels for sliding glass doors. I'd think you could find something close enough.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #9

Did not get my pics taken this weekend, but will try to do so tonight.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #10

Can you please provide the name of the manufacturer. Thanks
Old 08-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #11

Thanks
Old 08-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #12

I apologize for the delay in sending information about replacing the shower door in a 3170 with a curtain. My wife, our two kids, a son-in-law, and four grandkids just drove in from a week's trip to the Petrified Forest, the Grand Canyon, and Las Vegas. Our 3170 performed beautifully. And, yes, all nine of stayed in the 3170.

Our 3170 is a 2012, and what I say here applies specifically to our 3170. I expect that other years have the same door and other bathroom features, but proceed at your risk.

The constant banging of the glass shower door finally broke one of the lower brackets on the door. That and the noise made going down the road finally made it important for me to do something. I tried for weeks to figure out a way to stabilize the door, but I finally determined to replace the door with a curtain rod. The rod I used is found at

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...end-shower.htm

Other places also sell them.

When I removed the door, I left all of the framework in as installed as I couldn't tell how the two outside uprights on the stall entrance were fastened and I didn't want to weaken the shower stall structure.

Below are pictures of how I installed the rod. The rod ends are attached to the two substantial uprights at the sides of the stall. I placed the mounts in the center of the uprights and drilled the screw holes into the channel in each bar. The center rod had be shortened to 16 1/2" for it to fold in and out of the stall. Even then, it can only be folded in and out one way as the medicine cabinet interferes, but that is not a problem at all. While my wife had great concern about doing this, as the glass door is beautiful, but she's okay with it now. She did, however, require two shower curtains; one decorative for the outside and one with a woven texture on the inside as those don't stick to your skin as the flat plastic decorative one does.

If anyone has questions, let me know.

Hopefully, the pictures will go with this post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0772.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	85245

Name:	IMG_0771.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	85246

Name:	IMG_0770.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	85247

Name:	IMG_0773.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	85248
Old 11-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #13

Do you feel you gained extra room in the shower?
Old 11-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #14

Definitely gained room. Not only because the shower curtain rod extends out from the shower enclosure and holds the shower curtain, but because if you do hit the shower curtain, it gives, unlike the glass door. If you put a shower curtain with a "woven" texture as the inner curtain (if you have a decorative outer curtain), you don't stick to the curtain when you touch it. Be sure not to trim the curtains so short that they pull out of the tub enclosure when you lean against them. You also have more room in the bathroom when the shower rod is folded in when not using the shower. We would not go back to the glass shower door although it does look cooler.

Old 11-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by budblack View Post
Definitely gained room. Not only because the shower curtain rod extends out from the shower enclosure and holds the shower curtain, but because if you do hit the shower curtain, it gives, unlike the glass door. If you put a shower curtain with a "woven" texture as the inner curtain (if you have a decorative outer curtain), you don't stick to the curtain when you touch it. Be sure not to trim the curtains so short that they pull out of the tub enclosure when you lean against them. You also have more room in the bathroom when the shower rod is folded in when not using the shower. We would not go back to the glass shower door although it does look cooler.

Bud, anyway you can email me those pictures? I am interested in seeing where you mounted them. My top slider for the glass shower does not go all the way to the ceiling. I am messaging you my email address.

Thanks

Tags
3170, door, show, shower