Old 02-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #11

I've only owned a Class C. We wanted something smaller that didn't look like we were driving a bus. The 2700DS met our needs and we like it.

One problem is noise going down the road. The engine is right at your feet and you can barely hear the radio going down the road. It rides rough and there is always something rattling.

I love my Class C but I've heard that a Class A has a much smoother and quieter ride.

With that being said, with 4 young kids, I'd be sticking with a trailer. We liked to hop in the truck and go for a drive into town or the beach or local tourist attraction to break up the trip and keep them entertained. Our kids don't come camping with us as much these days so we changed over to a motorhome. The nice part for me is my wife will drive the MH. She would not drive when towing the trailer. We may start towing a car to have something to drive once we arrive at our destination but haven't got that far yet.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
Never had a class a gas only pusher but I wouldn't think you could compare a class c with a class a as far as handling or room. The class a is as easy to drive as the class c,your field of sight is 10 times better on the a. I own a 3050s now so I have owned both styles. Can't really compare the two. But each will meet specific needs and that is the most important thing. Happy camping.
I sure there are tons of buyers comparing the forester, sunseeker, and Georgetown bunk models. Like the OP, my self imposed budget was at or below 100K and that was my main criteria. Nothing to do with class a vs c. More of a what works with 4 kids.

Zero down, 1.99% (tax deductible) for 5 yrs fit nicely in my budget under $1200 a month. Also like the OP said buying such a depreciating asset is a tough call. I wanted a short loan to get out of being upside down quickly vs digging into our investment savings growing better than 1.99%

My wife makes it easy for me, she said you can be selfish and buy a new Corvette for yourself or a RV for the family. What's it gonna be? LOL
The sports car can wait till after colleges are paid for.

OP, hope you have as good of an experience as I did at Pontiac RV.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:29 AM   #13

If I can get the kids moving.....that same budget is what I have in mind. I'm leaning toward 3170 to be well under but if I can get them to match another holdover 2015 Winnie 35b I might pony up some more coin. Guess we will find out.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #14

Also, as far as the trailer I sold the Toyhauler after trying that. With 6 people in the cab and the added stress for me of a 35 foot trailer between the trip, maneuvering, leveling etc it becomes a lot of work and loses its fun fast. I want the trip to be part of the fun, and thinking this will help a lot. Prepared to do rentals if need be, and look at a toad at some point.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLud View Post
Also, as far as the trailer I sold the Toyhauler after trying that. With 6 people in the cab and the added stress for me of a 35 foot trailer between the trip, maneuvering, leveling etc it becomes a lot of work and loses its fun fast. I want the trip to be part of the fun, and thinking this will help a lot. Prepared to do rentals if need be, and look at a toad at some point.
We did an Excursion diesel and 30 ft toy hauler previously. We have no regrets going to an rv and trailer combo.
We don't travel as fast, but the trip is TONS better.

And we rented a class c bunkhouse for 10 days first. It was pricy as we put 2000 miles on it, but worth it.

Good luck
Old 02-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #16

We bought a used 2010 Class C Sunseeker 3120DS back in 2013, before we added 2 kids (via the foster to adopt system) to our family (with possibly more on the way). Now we are desperately wanting to get into something bigger, especially since our model does NOT have the overcab bunk. We keep looking at As and the bunk model Cs, but feel we really could use the room and extra bathroom of the newer bunkhouse model As, like the 364TS. Wish we would've had the foresight back then to get something a little bigger...the saying is "buy as big as you can the first time out, as you'll later realize you need it" - kinda wish that would've been my mantra! Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #17

Well, made it up there today and it was nice to have the 3170, Fr3 32DS, GT351DS (2015), and even a Winnebago 35B (2015) to compare.

3170 - I think its doable, but the killer is the small fridge. At only 6 cu foot theres just no way around that its too small for holding much of anything. The front bunk area was great though, although some areas cramped it was nicely finished and would work for us except for the fridge.

FR3 32DS - Has some nice things, wife just did not care for the particular color scheme and I had some fit/finish concerns. She didnt like this one pretty quick.

Georgetown 351DS - Good space and lots of room, really wished it was a 2016 so it would have the 6 spd trans but no real complaints from her. She liked this more than the C, it seemed ok to me but being a leftover means to me it has to be a heck of a buy.

Winnebago 35B - We both agreed it seemed to be the most solid and highest level of finish, even if it didnt have the "sparkle" of some of the other features. The bath and a half would be awesome with 6 people, and the big shower is nice as well. Again a 2015 so no 6 spd and at the top my price...can get a Georgetown 364TS with 2 full baths and a washer and dryer, full paint, loaded for about the same money...

No decision yet...Have to get the best price on each of them (except FR3) to make the best choice. All would work..some might be tight, some might be more than what we need.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:45 PM   #18

I am kinda surprised the FR3 wasn't the family favorite. They didn't sell a FR3 bunk last year, but I wished they did at the time. I liked the modern look of them, but with no bunk then we didn't give it much thought.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:04 PM   #19

Well...we figured it out today. Had been talking to a local place about a 364TS, and since I went a few hours away couldnt view it yesterday. Its about 48 here today and sunny, drops off a lot starting tomorrow so sales person says...if you want me to show you today lets go through it and take it for a drive even though were closed.

I have never driven an A (flown a helicopter, drove a tank, all kinds of farm equipment, and my travel trailer) and I have to say its somewhat intimidating by the size of the rig. Once driving....I cant believe how short it turned and for the most part how easy it was to drive. Some strong gusty crosswinds let me feel it when broadside, but once you got the hang of it no problem.

Drove it to local campground as we have no snow to see what its like backing it up.....Like a dream! First crack perfect, never had to move forward or mess around, just right in the perfect spot...dropped the jacks and were done. Kids loved the openness and of course the big windshield...nice big fridge...king bed with plenty of walkaround room and the 2nd full bath...

I really dont want to spend this much, but dont see how i get kids back into the sunseeker 3170 after today.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #20

We have a 2013 3170DS, just me and my wife, occasionally a grandchild or two. We are on our first major trip 3-4 months, and loving it. Many more planned. It took a while as newbies to learn the RV life, but it came along nicely. The learning curve wasn't too bad with this Forum and YouTube filling in the blanks. The kids will never forget their time in the rig, memories that will last. Good luck with your choice, enjoy.

LTRVing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3170, georgetown