Old 11-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Leave the canister off for the winter. Freezing temps could freeze residual moister in the threads and crack the canister. Oh. You have a drain plug in the compartment, remove and set it aside.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
How can you leave the canister off as the anti-freeze would just flow out into the compartment on the floor? Are you assuming the poster is not pumping anti-freeze in and just blowing out the lines?

Sorry, maybe I'm just confused.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockando View Post
How can you leave the canister off as the anti-freeze would just flow out into the compartment on the floor? Are you assuming the poster is not pumping anti-freeze in and just blowing out the lines?

Sorry, maybe I'm just confused.

I would say that is the best way to do it. My first year I left it on and it broke at the threads. I was told to winterize, then take the canister off. A little may come out, but haven't had any problems.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
I winterized my fiver last week, I emptied the water from the canister but left the filter installed to take up space and not use so much antifreeze. Was this a bad idea?
Only if you planned on using the filter again. You'll never get the AF out of it so you'll have to throw it away. Not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
The outside shower was the last faucet to be winterized and is located adjacent to the filter canister. I was confident that I filled the canister with antifreeze but now you have me second guessing. Should I go back and remove the canister housing and leave it off?
I see no reason to take the canister off.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #14

NEVER leave cartridge in during winterizing

The Forest River cartridge will actually remove the anti freeze from the solution, which results in pure water going through the system. This, of course, leaves your system unprotected.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #15

Besides removing the water filter canister, I need to locate the bypass valves for the hot water heater on a 2016 3171. Should be the same place as a Sunseeker 3170. Anyone know where these are located?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #16

By pass water heater valves@

I found my by pass shut offs behind drawer in kitchen, "really fun" getting to them. This location is actually close to the hot water tank. 👎
Old 11-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKpete View Post
I found my by pass shut offs behind drawer in kitchen, "really fun" getting to them. This location is actually close to the hot water tank. 👎
Thought that's where they maybe hiding. So that means I have to extend the slide on that side? Our unit is on an RV pad by the house and is so tight that we can't extend either slide. Guess I will back it out tomorrow and see if I can find those valves. Thx OKpete.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:20 PM   #18

I just remove the water filter and fill the canister with antifreeze before putting it back on.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #19

I winterized, pulled my filter and added an empty sealed plastic water bottle in place of the filter, to take up space. Used the suction tube attached to the water pump to suck in antifreeze. I'm sure that it (AF), had to go through the water filter housing to reach the other points In the system.

LTRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 05:00 AM   #20

I installed a suction line prior to the water pump with a valve and hose so I can use the water pump to pull in the anti-freeze (as opposed to dumping anti-freeze in the fresh water tank). I then purchased a "cap" type of device that you place in the top of the filter canister after removing the filter and dumping out the water. Next, I reinstall the canister and blow out the lines. I then, once again, remove the canister, thoroughly dry off the threads on the filter canister and attachment area, and reinstall the canister. This way, when the anti-freeze is drawn in by the pump, it bypasses the canister because of the plug, and makes its way throughout the water system. This is the way I did it when I lived in Oklahoma, and it's the same way I do it living in Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
3170, water, water filter, winter, winterize