Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #1

3170DS water filter full after winterizing

Winterizing first time by blowing out lines with air. Everything went great. A few days later I found the water filter canister, from which I had removed filter and drained, was full of water. I removed it and drained again. Why did it fill with water? I had drained water heater and opened drains under coach. Did I do something wrong?

2013 Sunseeker 3170DS
OKpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #2

Probably drained back from outside shower. It is forgotten most of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

Leave the canister off for the winter. Freezing temps could freeze residual moister in the threads and crack the canister. Oh. You have a drain plug in the compartment, remove and set it aside.

Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #4

3170DS water filter full water after winterizing

I had not checked outside shower as it had not been used in over a year, could it still have water in hose? Thank you all for the help
Old 11-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #5

That can occur if you run the water pump after you blow out the lines. Best to run the pump first to make sure the lines leading from the FW tank to the pump are clear then blow out the lines. Remove the filter bowl after blowing out the lines then leave it off during the winter.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #6

Sounds like just residual water in the filter canister that entered as you blew out the lines. The exit for the filter is at the top and the water did not reach there. All water coming into the rv passes thru the filter (except of course black tank clean out) and that includes pumped water from holding tank to all the faucets (ice maker/water heater) and commode. It's a whole house filter.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #7

I think this was the cause. Thought I would ask others just in case. Thanks for the help
Old 11-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #8

Water filter cannister?

I winterized my fiver last week, I emptied the water from the canister but left the filter installed to take up space and not use so much antifreeze. Was this a bad idea?

The outside shower was the last faucet to be winterized and is located adjacent to the filter canister. I was confident that I filled the canister with antifreeze but now you have me second guessing. Should I go back and remove the canister housing and leave it off?
Old 11-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
I winterized my fiver last week, I emptied the water from the canister but left the filter installed to take up space and not use so much antifreeze. Was this a bad idea?

The outside shower was the last faucet to be winterized and is located adjacent to the filter canister. I was confident that I filled the canister with antifreeze but now you have me second guessing. Should I go back and remove the canister housing and leave it off?
I've read that some people pull the filter and drop in a Snapple, or something similar to take up room in the canister. Of course this is predicated upon not having a temp bypass assembly.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #10

First I removed the OEM water filter in our 3029W Windjammer. After I removed it I just reclamped the hose back on to the nylon fitting.

I use a large canister water filter like this from Home Depot
GE 3/4 in. Inlet Whole House Water Filtration System-GXWH04F - The Home Depot

with a filter holder like this from Camping World
Water Filter Stand - Camco 40772 - Water Filtration - Camping World

That way I don't have to worry about water left in it when I winterize plus I can easily replace the carbon insert filters.
Happy trails.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Leave the canister off for the winter. Freezing temps could freeze residual moister in the threads and crack the canister. Oh. You have a drain plug in the compartment, remove and set it aside.

How can you leave the canister off as the anti-freeze would just flow out into the compartment on the floor? Are you assuming the poster is not pumping anti-freeze in and just blowing out the lines?

Sorry, maybe I'm just confused.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockando View Post
How can you leave the canister off as the anti-freeze would just flow out into the compartment on the floor? Are you assuming the poster is not pumping anti-freeze in and just blowing out the lines?

Sorry, maybe I'm just confused.

I would say that is the best way to do it. My first year I left it on and it broke at the threads. I was told to winterize, then take the canister off. A little may come out, but haven't had any problems.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Only if you planned on using the filter again. You'll never get the AF out of it so you'll have to throw it away. Not a big deal.

Quote:
I see no reason to take the canister off.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:01 PM   #14

NEVER leave cartridge in during winterizing

The Forest River cartridge will actually remove the anti freeze from the solution, which results in pure water going through the system. This, of course, leaves your system unprotected.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #15

Besides removing the water filter canister, I need to locate the bypass valves for the hot water heater on a 2016 3171. Should be the same place as a Sunseeker 3170. Anyone know where these are located?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #16

By pass water heater valves@

I found my by pass shut offs behind drawer in kitchen, "really fun" getting to them. This location is actually close to the hot water tank. 👎
Old 11-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKpete View Post
I found my by pass shut offs behind drawer in kitchen, "really fun" getting to them. This location is actually close to the hot water tank. 👎
Thought that's where they maybe hiding. So that means I have to extend the slide on that side? Our unit is on an RV pad by the house and is so tight that we can't extend either slide. Guess I will back it out tomorrow and see if I can find those valves. Thx OKpete.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:20 PM   #18

I just remove the water filter and fill the canister with antifreeze before putting it back on.
Sunseeker 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:55 PM   #19

I winterized, pulled my filter and added an empty sealed plastic water bottle in place of the filter, to take up space. Used the suction tube attached to the water pump to suck in antifreeze. I'm sure that it (AF), had to go through the water filter housing to reach the other points In the system.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:00 AM   #20

I installed a suction line prior to the water pump with a valve and hose so I can use the water pump to pull in the anti-freeze (as opposed to dumping anti-freeze in the fresh water tank). I then purchased a "cap" type of device that you place in the top of the filter canister after removing the filter and dumping out the water. Next, I reinstall the canister and blow out the lines. I then, once again, remove the canister, thoroughly dry off the threads on the filter canister and attachment area, and reinstall the canister. This way, when the anti-freeze is drawn in by the pump, it bypasses the canister because of the plug, and makes its way throughout the water system. This is the way I did it when I lived in Oklahoma, and it's the same way I do it living in Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Jstonecfi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3170, water, water filter, winter, winterize