Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #21

Must be a lot of types of these. I don't have an anti-bellow arm. But I also don't have any noise issues unless wind is shaking the whole trailer. Then one of them is noisy; the other two not. But to access mine, I'd need a 10 foot ladder..........which I don't have but often wish I did.

I am not trying to talk anyone into anything, but I love mine. I live in Pine Tree Heaven, and I can't keep pine needles out of anything. But these help a lot. I ordered them on a whim, but so very glad I did.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #22
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'm trying to picture this in my mind. Are you talking of the anti-billow arm?

If so, not every slide topper or manufacturer has them.

5picker, you need to adjust the anti-billowing devise. The lever is supposed to rest against the bracket attached to the side of the RV when the slide is closed. It is to stop the slide topper from unrolling while traveling.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #23
Kanadian Kamper

I’m just wondering how much slack some people have with their toppers.

We are as close to full timers as can be these last couple of years and can’t recall our toppers flapping so bad as to keep us awake because if the wind. As I type this right now......I’m looking at the dining and bedroom toppers and they are basically taunt, but the wind is light to non-existent.

I’ve never had to adjust them since buying the rig in 2010. Are some models just too slack and causing the flapping being discussed here?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #24

I haven't had a problem with any noise. I take that back, My Wife would have told me about it. She hasn't. She can hear a bird fart.
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post

5picker, you need to adjust the anti-billowing devise. The lever is supposed to rest against the bracket attached to the side of the RV when the slide is closed. It is to stop the slide topper from unrolling while traveling.

If I did that, the slide wouldn't open easily.

These levers are designed to keep the roller tube from unwinding. (billowing)
They are not designed to keep the slide in.

The tube rolls counter clockwise to open.
Since slide toppers have no lock, when the tube tries to unwind (billow) the arm goes a small distance back against the stop and keeps it from completely unwinding. If against the stop at close, the slide would have to exert extra force to unwind the tube slightly, putting undue force on the arm and bracket when it 'jumps off. Not something I'd want.

The arm is positioned so that as the slide begins to extend, (and the tube rolls counter clockwise) it travels out and away just far enough that the arm just misses the stop and allows the slide to open.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #26
TARVIDSON

Flapping slide awning

Yes, I am referring to the anti billowing arm. Stopping the flapping without it would be a whole different problem.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #27

Exactly what I do.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:15 PM   #28

Go to 5 below or big lot buy half dozen beach balls stick them under toppers you will sleep like a baby . Make a sign and tape it over the slide controls beach balls under toppers
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #29

50 mph wind

Like Blazer i use the balls. they come in different sizes so you can find one that fits. Work great and easy to punh under topper.
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:18 AM   #30

Personally I dont see the real need in the toppers. Before I ever pull the slide in I clean any debris from the top....I would do that even if I had a topper except anything under the topper will be harder to remove. Rain on any rv is gonna be loud anyway so I dont feel thats of benefit. Everyone's likes are different though.
fredoe61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:23 AM   #31
Certified Curmudgeon

A glass of wine and an off switch on the ear piece works for me. Don’t hear a thing and sleep like a rock.

A note on the anti-billow arm. I remember a Carefree note specifying 10:00 o’clock and 2:00 o’clock as appropriate. If I can dig it up, I’ll post it. From a mechanical point of view, I would think that if you took the screws out and turned it so it touches the stop block, then extend the slide, it would move to the correct position on its own. Just a thought.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:48 AM   #32

Slides out should be ok, check that the slide rubbers are good all the-way up to keep out the dust. We are in Yuma with the high winds as well but did close the awning, do not want to risk any problems.
Bailee Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:31 AM   #33

Slide Topper action/movement/noise/flapping is Very dependent on "Wind Speed/Orientation of Topper to wind direction/ Tension of recoil spring/Location and Size of Neighboring Units/Landscaping" to name a Few! Mountain Sides/Ocean Fronts/and Wide Open spaces will also bring other challenges! We have Toppers and we bring them in way Before "50 MPH Winds"! If anyone wants to do a 50 MPH Test,just leave Your Slides OUT and Drive down the Road,Please let us know the outcome! Youroo!!
Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #34

This Post wasn't even Cold and they Started another one about Slides "Yes/No/Maybe"! can,t they be Combined? Youroo!!
Old 02-21-2018, 12:10 AM   #35

50 mph winds

On mine they keep the camper cooler as there is only about 1 inch of foam in top of slide out.
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #36
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
A glass of wine and an off switch on the ear piece works for me. Don’t hear a thing and sleep like a rock.

A note on the anti-billow arm. I remember a Carefree note specifying 10:00 o’clock and 2:00 o’clock as appropriate. If I can dig it up, I’ll post it. From a mechanical point of view, I would think that if you took the screws out and turned it so it touches the stop block, then extend the slide, it would move to the correct position on its own. Just a thought.
CORRECTION: Disregard the note on the Anti-Billow Arm. I got a bit off on my recollection. I found the reference but its for dometic/A&E, not Carefree and the 10/2 position is where it should strike the stop/spacer. The resting position should be close to straight up.

See pgs 10-11 of the ref.
https://cdn.ltvdns.com/leisurevans.c...structions.pdf
Old 02-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #37
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredoe61 View Post
Personally I dont see the real need in the toppers. Before I ever pull the slide in I clean any debris from the top....I would do that even if I had a topper except anything under the topper will be harder to remove. Rain on any rv is gonna be loud anyway so I dont feel thats of benefit. Everyone's likes are different though.
My slides stay out from mid April to mid October. Except for a thin layer of dust I have never had anything under my toppers. I have found a hornets nest under the edge of one but I got rid of that as soon as I seen it. The dust gets blown off with a leaf blower. I have noticed that most weekenders have a leaf blower anyway.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I've not experienced problems with mine but if I did, ^^this^^ would be what I'd do.

A strap or a rope and 3 minutes.

Here's an internet sang of the concept.

Not sure it needs cinched down against the roof but whatever works.

How did you secure the rope to the topper?
6 years weekend camping Class C
2017 camping 20 days and counting
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #39
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand2328 View Post
How did you secure the rope to the topper?
As I said in my post, this wasn't me but an internet snag of a photo of what I'd do if necessary.

Throw the length of rope/strap over the top of the slide topper, bring rope/strap down along each side of the slide (towards the middle) and tie the two ends together underneath the slide.

The rope doesn't secure to the topper itself, it just cinches the topper material to the slide roof, to keep it from billowing by pulling it however tight necessary and then tying it.

Easy Peasy! (just be sure to remove before retracting the slide!)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide, slide out