Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2011, 11:40 AM   #1

55 Amp, Power Converter Location

I got a new 2012 Sunseeker 3120DS and the power converter went out, the dealer has told me they replaced it but are waiting on the factory as it may have been installed in the wrong spot from the factory. It is located under the bed mounted on the floor directly on carpet, they are thinking about moving it to some storage compartment. Does this sound right to anyone?

I have not been bugging the repairing dealer but as of this weekend it will have been there 4 weeks.
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #2

Mine is mounted in the back passthough starage compartment in the middle againest the inside wall. the cord goes through the wall and pluggs into the back of the control panel. under the bed is not a great place but easier to get to than were mine is. Had to place a 12"x6' board between the storage door and the hump in the middle to crawel into the compartment to remove and install the new converter as the storage box itself is only mounted with a few screws and would not support me setting in it. Still only took 15 minutes to replace.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Should be mounted behind breaker panel I would say. Why locate it far from everything?

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #4

as above post, near the fuses. should have good ventilation. dealer may be concerned abt that. heat and electronics are not good friends.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #5

breaker box is built into the foot of the bed, so that is about as close as it gets.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

wow ! they must be back logged ..... i replaced my 55 amp with a 70 amp intelli power in about 2 hours since i was modding in the intell-power into my wfco unit . otherwise a 45 minute job .

of course if there moving the unit that will take time to re run all those wires ...... i couldnt imagine .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #7

Thank for the comments. To there credit they had other issues to deal with besides this, they said they where waiting on the factory to tell them what to do. They decided to install the replacement in the same place so if it burns up real quick guess they will have to move it. Also to there credit they say I was called and a voice mail left last Friday, guess I just missed that call.

Does anyone know for sure where this converter should be installed in this model? Or anyone that has a 3120DS where is yours located?
Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook View Post
Thank for the comments. To there credit they had other issues to deal with besides this, they said they where waiting on the factory to tell them what to do. They decided to install the replacement in the same place so if it burns up real quick guess they will have to move it. Also to there credit they say I was called and a voice mail left last Friday, guess I just missed that call.

Does anyone know for sure where this converter should be installed in this model? Or anyone that has a 3120DS where is yours located?
Personally I would put some vents in the bed sides and maybe go to radio shack and get a 12 volt mini computer fan to circulate air. Maybe a low temp heat switch so that if the temp gets to say 80 degrees the fan comes on to cool the area.
as I said before it would take ALOT of rewiring to move that thing.
maybe it was just a faulty unit to.
when you go camping next turn on enough 12 volt things you can to get convert er fan working and stick a thermometer under bed to see how much heat its making.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
Should be mounted behind breaker panel I would say. Why locate it far from everything?

We used to put it behind the breaker box, but with the fan cycling on and off all the time was noisy in the bedroom. So where we can, we remote mount it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We used to put it behind the breaker box, but with the fan cycling on and off all the time was noisy in the bedroom. So where we can, we remote mount it.
So is under the bed mounted on the floor on the carpet is where this one should be mounted on the 3120DS?

Another question is, should I leave the coach plugged up to shore power all the time to keep the batteries fresh? If so I would think the temps in the summer would be brutal inside as I do not leave the A/C on.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
So is under the bed mounted on the floor on the carpet is where this one should be mounted on the 3120DS?

Another question is, should I leave the coach plugged up to shore power all the time to keep the batteries fresh? If so I would think the temps in the summer would be brutal inside as I do not leave the A/C on.
You could take the converter out of the power distribution center drill holes in the Floor and mount converter in cubbyhole below bed.
I leave mine plugged in 24/7 but mine is located in a cabinet. Right inside the entry door
Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

To be honest it would be a nightmare to move your load center.
having them just move the converter out of the load center makes much more sense.
Imo
Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #13
RV Newbie

I sure would ask them to mount it onto a piece of plywood screwed down on the carpet. Seems like the carpet would hinder the flow of air and could create a fire hazard. I know you can burn up a laptop fast laying on carpet or a blanket. And adding vent holes to the enclosure would be a good idea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zook

1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #14

I guess my question/ point is if it get 100° inside the Motor Home to begin with does it really make a difference where its located?
Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I guess my question/ point is if it get 100° inside the Motor Home to begin with does it really make a difference where its located?
I would say since it's located in a enclosed area that it's possible for it to reach higher temps under your bed especially if there's no ventilation. Heat is no friend to your converter/power distribution panel.