Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

A/C on 20A outlet

We picked up our Sunseeker 2650S last Thursday and are slowing loading it (our first RV so we're going slow). It's very hot in the North East, 93 degrees today. We have an 20A outlet next to where it's parked. We know we're supposed to use 30A service if using the A/C, and have the 15A adapter if leaving the A/C off. We opted for the 15k BTU A/C w/Heat Pump and it uses 15.3A. We are curious if we don't run the refrigerator, lighting, slide, water pump, etc., if using the A/C on a 20A outlet is ok. We don't know how many amps other systems may be drawing power without us knowing about it (i.e. battery charger).
Joseph Carozzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Never recommended, but, if that's all your running, and everything else is off as you mentioned, it'll work fine. Others will disagree, but there is sufficient power with a 20a receptacle to run AC only. Think big hair dryer in your house. similar amperage draw, 20a plug. We've done the same thing on previous trailers, monitored amperage draw, no problems. We've got full hook ups in our shop with 30 and 50 amp as we never know what RV we'll have next. I'm sure you've already considered adding a designated 30a for the RV.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

if its a 20 amp circuit, its likely to have a 20 amp circuit breaker. Try it. Particularly if its only a short wire run from distribution panel to plug
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Denver, CO

My 20 always blew, until I put in a separate 30 circuit
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Mine runs fine on a 20 amp circuit with a 12 ga, 15 foot extention cord. Check the extention cord for any heat build up.
Oh! And make sure your water heater (if equiped with electric) is off.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

Thanks to all that advised. We'll try just the A/C. Yes - we're having a 30A installed when our electrician gets back from vacation. We'd like to get some work done on loading/configuring the motorhome ASAP, and the forecast here is 90 degrees the next 5 days.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Carozzoni View Post
We'll try just the A/C. Yes - we're having a 30A installed when our electrician gets back from vacation
Make sure the electrician understands that it's a 30A 120V RV receptacle...most assume if you want 30A, it's 220V al a dryer or welding plug. More than a few on here have found out the hard way.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Make sure the electrician understands that it's a 30A 120V RV receptacle...most assume if you want 30A, it's 220V al a dryer or welding plug. More than a few on here have found out the hard way.

Dave
Please heed Dave's warning and excellent advice.

Here is a pdf file that you can print out to give your electrician to make sure he does it correct.

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

As Dave stated, we have had several members whose electrician wired the 30 amp outlet up for 220/240 volts......and thus fried some stuff in their RV's.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #9

i have been reading this thread and am confused. Sunseekers come with 30 amp service. the op said he was hooking up to a 20 amp service at a campground. why would he install a 30 amp service on a vehicle that already is 30 amps.

the persons who have trailers with 20 amp service and are upgrading to 30 amp service are confusing me. and this thread
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i have been reading this thread and am confused. Sunseekers come with 30 amp service. the op said he was hooking up to a 20 amp service at a campground. why would he install a 30 amp service on a vehicle that already is 30 amps.

the persons who have trailers with 20 amp service and are upgrading to 30 amp service are confusing me. and this thread

He is at home, not in a campground.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
He is at home, not in a campground.
As bakken stated, the OP is not at a campground, but either at their house or possibly somewhere else close by. They are plugging into a 20 amp outlet to try and run their A/C while packing/prepping the RV for their camping trip(s) to the campgrounds.

My understanding is they plan to install a 30 amp dedicated RV outlet at their home, so they won't have to plug into a 20 amp outlet while there....when their electrician get's back from vacation.

Their RV is made to plug into a 30 amp outlet, but they are plugging into a 20 amp outlet using an adapter, since that is all they got right now. They can also only use up to 20 amps of things in their Rv when plugged into a 20 amp outlet. They are not changing anything in the RV. They are planning to install a 30 amp outlet at home so they can use up to 30 amps worth of stuff. The A/C alone can use over 20 amps sometimes.

To fully utilize the capabilities of an RV, you must be plugged into an outlet that can provide the required amps to realize this capability. A 50 amp RV needs a 50 amp outlet/service. A 30 amp RV needs a 30 amp outlet/service.

By using the correct RV electrical adapter, you can plug into an outlet with less amps...like say a 20 amp or 15 amp. However, when you plug into an outlet with less amps, then you are now limiting your RV to that amount of amps provided by the outlet/circuit breaker.......and can only use up to that amount of electrical things inside your RV.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #12

sorry i misread
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #13

Quote:
sorry i misread
No problem, it is good to keep everyone on their toes!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #14

And it works the other way too, With a proper adapter you can connect your RV to 50 amp service and even, were there one available, a 200 amp outlet with no problems. Its like having a husband who can carry 100 lbs. He can carry 75, 50, or 25 too
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #15

I just installed 10 of these in our campground.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CGoQ8wIwBA

Very easy to install. Note that these have no breaker in the box as we have access to the main panel. Your electrician will know the wire requirements for the 30 amp. 4 of our runs were 4 gauge wire at about 140 to 160 ft. If it is less than 20, 10 gauge should do fine. 8 gauge for less than 80' and 6 gauge for up to 100'....... Ouch that #4 was expensive.

As far as loading the camper...... This is our first class c. I have made sure we have everything we could need while out and about. I have found that a full tank of water, 3 cases of adult libation and 40 pounds of ice in the rear cubby does decrease my fuel mileage a bit. Take the extra 10 or 15 minutes to fill up with water at the park. I usually travel with 10 or 12 gallons just in case of restroom use.

Gear... With everything we have packed I still have quite a bit of empty space. The cupboards above the dinette are usually empty (even stocking the camper with a blender, toaster and stand mixer). They are great for the burger and dog buns for the camp storage.

My 2 nickels (inflation ya know!)
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #16

If I was running power, I would run 50amp and get an adaptor in the event there is a 50amp coach in the future. Bet the difference in price is small.
Lets not forget a sewer dump. Best thing I ever done.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #17
Graduate Member

It's no problem - been doing it for almost a year now.

We're one of the people that had our electrician install the wrong outlet (220 welding outlet). So all we have at home is a standard 20amp household plug.

Runs the AC just fine!

Now we recently took a trip to Texas to visit family (driveway camping) and the AC wouldn't run (shuts off after 10 seconds or so). Turns out they had lots of stuff plugged in on that breaker and when we turned on the AC, the breaker flipped.

So just make sure you're aware of the camper's usage AND whatever else is on that same breaker.

But really - it works just fine as long as you don't go crazy and run everything at once.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

Thanks to all, really good advice. Just got off the phone with the electrician, we'll try to get the 30A 120V per PDF instructions provided in this forum installed. With everything off, A/C worked fine on 20A. But in this heat in central NY, we decided after one day to just stay inside the house and crank the central A/C to full. Weekend forecast is 20+ degrees cooler