Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 12:27 AM   #1

A couple more Sunseeker Questions

I have an order in the pipeline for a 3010DS, expected to be ready sometime in March.

As I am getting prepared to take delivery , I have a few more questions about things I didn't think of (or forgot) when looking at the dealer's lot...

1. Do sunseekers come with good quality valve stem extensions on the rear duals or should I plan to get some good brass extensions added?

2. I did order the optional fantastic fan for the living area. Aside from this one and the vent/fan in the bathroom, are there other ceiling vents? I can't recall if the others in the bedroom and kitchen area are vents that open or just skylights.

3. Has anyone added an on-board compressor for the air bags? if so, what type? Has anyone added one that can also be used to air tires?

4. I also ordered the grill/LP connection. Is this an "extend a stay" type connection that has a T for both an external LP tank AND the grill or just the connection for the grill

Thanks..
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalkerpa1 View Post
I have an order in the pipeline for a 3010DS, expected to be ready sometime in March.

As I am getting prepared to take delivery , I have a few more questions about things I didn't think of (or forgot) when looking at the dealer's lot...

1. Do sunseekers come with good quality valve stem extensions on the rear duals or should I plan to get some good brass extensions added?

2. I did order the optional fantastic fan for the living area. Aside from this one and the vent/fan in the bathroom, are there other ceiling vents? I can't recall if the others in the bedroom and kitchen area are vents that open or just skylights.

3. Has anyone added an on-board compressor for the air bags? if so, what type? Has anyone added one that can also be used to air tires?

4. I also ordered the grill/LP connection. Is this an "extend a stay" type connection that has a T for both an external LP tank AND the grill or just the connection for the grill

Thanks..

The valve stem extensions that came with my 2012 2300 were cheap plastic. I replaced them.

I have three vents. One in the living area with fantastic fan (from factory). One over bed with no fan. One in bathroom with cheap fan. In the 2300 floor plan, one fantastic fan is enough. As for the one with no fan, other threads on this forum have indicated that the wiring is in place behind the trim for adding a fan. (All are vents, not skylights).

I bought a tire inflator from Harbor Freight for tires and air bags. It is 110v and can put out 100 psi. For tires I would only use it in emergency--it would likely take forever to inflate. But I use a real compressor at home and have tire pressure monitor system. For the air bags it is just right. They take very little air. Be careful not to over inflate. I didn't want the weight and space of carrying a full size compressor. I only adjust the air bags a couple of times per season.

The LP grill connector is a quick connect mounted behind a small door on the side of the RV. It is not an extend a stay connector. Only a grill connection. During the summer months, we cook, grill, and (when driving) run fridge on LP. Usually stay at sites with hookups. A tank of LP lasts most all summer. Often top it off toward Fall to make sure we have enough if weather would suddenly turn cold. We camp every other weekend and a few longer trips. Those who dry camp a lot might have different needs, but we have not had concerns about having enough LP.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #3

I had a lp connector on the last camper, but it would not run the stove/grill we had. I bought a 5lb tank from cabellas that fits nicely in one of the small cubbys with the Coleman grill. The 5lb tank will last a long time. I may fill it twice during the year.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #4

LP connector on ours works great with the Aussie grill that came with the MH. Use it all the time. It is already regulated, so if you are using a grill that normally is fed from a bottle, you will not want to have a second regulator on it. Most manufacturers make hardware to connect to a line directly if the gas line is already regulated.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #6

Wiring is in place under trim rings. I installed a fan in the bedroom. Bathroom one is cheap Chinese crap, I replaced that with a basic Fantastic fan. Valve extenders were of low quality, one flew off and ripped the valve stem out causing a rear flat.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:28 AM   #7

While we wait on delivery of our 3010ds, MrsDoc and I have been talking about some stuff we need to get. She asked me last night about sheets for the bed. We ordered the upgraded mattress. Is this a standard Queen size or a short Queen?

Also, I found this heater at Camping World > http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...n-heater/74228
Do you think it would fit on the wall that the slide covers when it is closed? Is there a power outlet there? Do you think it would be good to place one on the back bedroom wall under the window?
doctinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #8

The rear bed is a short queen. If I recall the actual measurements are 60"x74".

As far as the heater, that is an interesting idea.

There is a 120V outlet there and also a 12V if I recall.

I am not sure about the space there on the wall by the dinette. There is some room there between the wall and slide...When I was playing around with the table, I was able to lean it up there between the wall and the dinette seat but it was tight.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #9

Thanks jrwarkerpa1.

The boss is checking into the short sheets now.

That heater is a 400 watt unit. Do you guys think that is enough for +20°F and higher in the bedroom? I found another brand that is 600 watt. Maybe that would be a better option.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 02-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #10

My 2012 3120 has braided stainless steel valve extenders. Not sure what the 2014s come with.
Concerning the upgraded mattress, mine is a short queen and came with a Serta with rounded corners. Thus the factory bed spread doesn't fit well and the plywood base which has more square corners sticks outside the mattress. That turned out to be good since it gave me a place to install short corner bed posts to tuck the blanket/spread behind at night so they don't slide off the end of the bed while sleeping. Not sure if others have this problem but I have often found that the covers have a tendency to slide off short queens during the night. The posts also square up the corner so the factory bed spread fits better.

Also since you are looking at a March build it may be shipped (driven) to your dealer on salted roads. I would ask that it not be shipped if the roads are wet and salty. As a minimum make sure it is cleaned well when it arrives. Now if you plan to winter camp I guess it doesn't matter but plan on corrosion issues both cosmetic and functional.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctinker View Post
Thanks jrwarkerpa1.

That heater is a 400 watt unit. Do you guys think that is enough for +20°F and higher in the bedroom? I found another brand that is 600 watt. Maybe that would be a better option.
I doubt you will be comfortable with 400 watt at 20 degrees. We have a 1500 watt ceramic heater with a fan and it started loosing ground on keeping the front of the coach warm (where it was located) when it got to the mid 30's. We moved it to the bedroom and it was comfortable but the other parts of the coach were cold. We had to use the furnace when it got down to the 20's. I would add another 1500 watt heater to help but then I would be on the max amp draw since 1500 watt heater draws around 12 amps.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #12

We have a ceramic cube heater too, that we would use in the living area. I guess I should have stated that. I am wondering if the 400 watt panel would be enough with the ceramic heater running in the front and the door closed to the bedroom area to minimize the sound of the fan in the ceramic heater.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #13

You may have to just research on that panel. We've used radiant panels before at work with little success comfort wise but the panel you are considering is different.
I consider it to be like a heating pad; if you're not right by it then you won't feel it much. In my experience something that heats the air (moving air through the heater) is more effective. But there are those that swear by radiant oil heaters which are probably good if you don't care for the fan noise.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #14
Commercial Member

The valve extenders are called Air-Flexx (not really cheap plastic). We went to them based on some trucking companies recommendations. They don't hold air in the valve. We had more problems with braided ones leaking due to weight and coming loose. If a braid one gets cut, it is pressurized and will deflate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	schnitt_eng.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	45942   Click image for larger version

Name:	poster_gb.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	45943  

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #15

On the valve extenders, one of mine was broken apparently from someone installing the wheel liner (dented liner right where the extender passes through). I was on the road with the coach and was a bit uneasy not having access to check the inside tire pressure. I couldn't find extenders for 16" rims for Ford DRW anywhere. I stopped at Camping World and found these: Wheel Masters: Dual Tire Inflation Systems
There are some that airless. I bought the HHM 80092 for hand hole.
I didn't know who made the original ones but now that Brian provided that detail I may stick with those for a while.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
The valve extenders are called Air-Flexx (not really cheap plastic). We went to them based on some trucking companies recommendations. They don't hold air in the valve. We had more problems with braided ones leaking due to weight and coming loose. If a braid one gets cut, it is pressurized and will deflate.

I stand corrected on the "cheap plastic" comment. Sorry. The threads on the ends are plastic or nylon. The problem is they don't work with tire pressure monitor sensors. So I replaced mine with the ones bgilly referred to that hold air in the extender. They have worked well for two years and the safety and confidence of a monitoring system is something I don't want to be without.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Commercial Member

We're probably both right. I certainly don't think they were designed for an "outside the tire" monitor system.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I certainly don't think they were designed for an "outside the tire" monitor system.
Right. There is no way to secure the TPM to the Air Flexx extenders plus the fact the TPM sensors need to be secured to the rim base so the tire extender doesn't wag right off the tire.

Bobby
Old 02-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #19

when I replaced the tires on my Vectra, I had them installed solid (metal)
extenders, they do not leak. Cost a little more but what is your rig
worth?

Phelpo
phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #20

There are pass through sensors that would probably work if put between the stem and the extender. The extender that bclemens referred to appears to have a rod down the center that presses the core on the valve stem when you inflate or check your tire. Pretty neat design.

Tags
sunseeker