Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 05:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
I use Sikaflex 715. It doesn't get as stiff and create cracks later on.
Good stuff. It is RV specific and might not be available locally.
Mizzou_man, at the hardware store, if you can't find the above product, you should be able to find a high quality polyurethane caulk. Sikaflex is one common brand. But there are others. They would be good for your gap. Then Dicor over the patch later when you get some.

Also, if you have a trucking or mobile home supply place, they might have something similar to the above.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #22
Sophomore Campers

I'm going to see if I can get some dicor at a local RV place and take care of it over lunch today.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #23

I could not agree more with The Rhino's paragraph #2. My last TT was totaled by the insurance company due to unseen (for a number of years before I purchased it) water damage and then resulting black mold. Have the coach inspected very, very carefully by a 3rd party and be prepared to accept the water damage may be beyond repair. I would be extremely leery of accepting the coach at this point, even if you are told the water damage isn't "that bad," or that any mold can be remediated. Don't accept that excuse. Advocate for yourself.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #24
Sophomore Campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
I could not agree more with The Rhino's paragraph #2. My last TT was totaled by the insurance company due to unseen (for a number of years before I purchased it) water damage and then resulting black mold. Have the coach inspected very, very carefully by a 3rd party and be prepared to accept the water damage may be beyond repair. I would be extremely leery of accepting the coach at this point, even if you are told the water damage isn't "that bad," or that any mold can be remediated. Don't accept that excuse. Advocate for yourself.
So who does these types of inspections? I mean I could take to another dealer but I don't see them wanting to deal with something that's not their problem.

How would someone really inspect and find water damage without tearing into the cabinetry? I mean there's only so much you can see without really tearing it down.

Short of being there when they replace the cabinet, how else can you know?

The unit was inside their show room when we first looked at it and test drove it. Granted there's no promise it was always in doors.
MizzouMan_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #25
B47

Just another sad but true example of poor workmanship, lack of quality control and inspection.

No one paying thousands of dollars for these units should have to go though the trouble,inconvenience and emotional distress this causes.

Yet we have members here who condone this time after time saying that it just a risk you take when buying a RV and it's not just Forest River products.

Maybe not - but why simple things that are so easily corrected continues to happen is beyond me.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouMan_2000 View Post
So who does these types of inspections? I mean I could take to another dealer but I don't see them wanting to deal with something that's not their problem.

How would someone really inspect and find water damage without tearing into the cabinetry? I mean there's only so much you can see without really tearing it down.

Short of being there when they replace the cabinet, how else can you know?

The unit was inside their show room when we first looked at it and test drove it. Granted there's no promise it was always in doors.
The water damage with my TT was ultimately exposed by my RV dealer. My insurance adjuster thought there would be mold and after my camper was torn apart by the dealer, it was easy (and frightening) to see exactly how much water damage and mold there was. Leak origination point? Never did find out. But the water damage and mold literally ran the entire passenger side (when towing) of the TT. I had to see it myself to believe it. My dealer started by removing (cutting/lifting) the linoleum and the problem mushroomed from there. As someone else suggested, try working with the Forest River rep if your dealer isn't being very helpful. There is no way under the sun I would accept a brand new coach with suspected water damage. While you may not want to involve your insurance company, you might have to if you can't make progress with your dealer or Forest River rep. That whole mold thing is no joke. Mold can cause very serious health problems. Not worth it. I wish you the best of luck. I am so incredibly paranoid about leaks and water damage now.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #27

I am a minority. I think you can kill the mold, but I would be concerned if the water damage issues. I think it was here where someone said you need a new RV assuming there is water damage. If you hit a limb or something and caused the intrusion then it's between you and the insurance co., but a new rv with pretty bad water damage? I don't think so unless the factory repairs and passes it.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I am a minority. I think you can kill the mold, but I would be concerned if the water damage issues. I think it was here where someone said you need a new RV assuming there is water damage. If you hit a limb or something and caused the intrusion then it's between you and the insurance co., but a new rv with pretty bad water damage? I don't think so unless the factory repairs and passes it.

Maybe coordinate with the dealer for a used loaner till repaired.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #29
Sophomore Campers

So far the dealer seems willing to fix the damage, but we need to have a talk about how long this might have been going on...
Old 05-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #30
Site Team

For the Antenna, Go to WalMart. and buy a tote that will fit over the antenna. Flip it upside down and put something on it to keep it in place. It will keep water from entering the crack in the antenna.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #31

Great pictures, be sure to get dealer involved - service department documentation stating they are aware of you problem for future roof warranty problems. Any water penetration like that can/will cause delamination/rot and mold if not repaired ASAP. We all pay too much for lack of quality and have to trade in 2 - 4 years because of problems....why should we have to remanufacture/correct mistakes?

Tags
leak, vent, water, water leak