Old 09-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

AC Running on 110v

Recently moved from a home where we had a 30 amp plug. At our new home we just have our coach plugged into 110v via a dog bone. Is it ok to run the AC this way or do I need to plug the RV cord directly into a 30 amp plug? The only thing that is running in the RV is the AC and a couple lights.

The extension cord running from the dog bone to the house is 12/3.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:40 PM   #2

How many amps is the plug
If it's a 15 amp outlet I wouldn't
With 20 amp as long as it's not a long run of cord and if it has a gfci you may find the gfci popping if it is even slightly weak

Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #3

12 guage is the very minimum, would be better if the run was 10 guage (your 30 amp cord). Check you voltage in the trailer with the a/c running. Is it 110 volt or more? If so, and the 15 amp breaker doesn't trip, you should be ok. Check the actual amp draw with an amp probe if you have one. Heavier cord will help reduce voltage drop.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSunseeker View Post
Recently moved from a home where we had a 30 amp plug. At our new home we just have our coach plugged into 110v via a dog bone. Is it ok to run the AC this way or do I need to plug the RV cord directly into a 30 amp plug? The only thing that is running in the RV is the AC and a couple lights.

The extension cord running from the dog bone to the house is 12/3.
Before we had our 30 amp outlet installed outside this is what we used when we first bought our Sunseeker. Plug this into the 15/20 amp outlet and then plug the camper 30 amp cord into the adaptor.

It helped to prevent voltage drop due to a smaller gauge extension cord and kept the cord from getting overheated. And yes we were able to run the air conditioner. Just remember to check the adpator occasionally to assure that it is not getting overheated.

Hope this helps, and happy travels!

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55223-1...amp+rv+adapter

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 5
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #5

re

Blew my A/C last summer not a good idea
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:19 PM   #6

All RV connections are 110V. The difference is the amps. 15,20,30 or 50. I used to run my trailers off a 20A circuit with no problems. I've even run it off 15. Get a Kill-a-watt meter from a hardware store and see what the voltage is in the trailer wth the AC on. Very easy.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #7

You can run your air conditioner on the 15 amp line. You will run into problems with the breaker on the house box if you exceed the 15 amp limit. This happens when you have the air running and start using something like the microwave, hair dryer or a power tool. I will run both the air conditioner and the refrigerator / freezer on shore power when I am prepping it for travel or returning home. I just make sure that everything is off before I plug it in and before I in plug it.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #8

Do not run your air conditioner off any 15 amp outlet. I tried and melted a Camco 30 amp to 15 adapter. Your outlet also gets hot as does the 12 gauge cord itself and who knows what you may be doing to that circuit wring inside your house. You may burn your house down. It is absolutely not worth it to take the chance. After I saw the heat and soft plug, adapter and cord, I knew full well I would not do that again. I had a dedicated 30 amp circuit ran with 30 amp plug in installed. Now, I don't worry.
Old codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #9

Yes you can probably run as you describe, but things to check first:
1. The house outlet you are plugging into is connected to a 20Amp Breaker and not a 15Amp Breaker in your main electrical panel.
2. Make sure nothing else someplace in your house is also wired to that same 20amp breaker.
3. The house outlet you are plugging into in your house is a real 20Amp Outlet - not a 15Amp outlet. (The way you can visually tell the difference is that a 15amp outlet will have three holes for the plug - one round one for the ground wire and two vertical ones for the hot and neutral wires. The real 20amp T-outlet will be physically the same looking EXCEPT it will have the round ground wire connection and one of the two vertical connections will also have a horizontal connection as part of it. If in doubt, go online to home depot [URL="http://www.homedepot.com/s/20amp%2520outlet?NCNI-5"]
and you can see a picture of a 20amp T-outlet.
4.DO NOT go to Home Depot, buy a 20Amp T-Outlet and change it out for the 15amp outlet in your home. To work properly, the 20amp T-outlet needs to be connected by #12 wire to a 20amp breaker in your electrical panel.

I've been running my class C with air 24/7 and refrigerator, plus a computer or two for a couple of years now with no issues. I use a 50 foot quality Conntek NEMA 5-20 20-Amp T-Blade Outdoor SJTW 12/3 Extension Cord with power indicator light End (about $55 at Amazon) and the appropriate adapter to my coach 30amp plug.
BobFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #10

I have a 10/3 100' extension cord plugged into a 20 amp circuit and I run my AC and fridge with it in my Forester. I couldn't do that with 12/3. I have a Progressive Industries HW30C Hardwired EMS Surge & Electrical Protection- 30 Amps and it says I am drawing 14 amps when the compressor is running.

johnshoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
110v