Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
Chief tinkerer

Adding brake controller

Hi folks. Lots of knowledge and experience with you guys, So, guess I will consult the experts here. I must be missing something, so apologies n advance. When I wanted to add cruise control to my 2010 base model F150, I learned through the Ford forum to buy the OEM cruise control steering wheel cluster through eBay, pop out the blanks to find the preinstalled harness, plug it in, snap it in and pay a dealer $50 to "tell" the truck it now has cruise control. Looked like it came with it installed.
We just ordered our Sunseeker 3010 and want to follow the same procedure as above once we get it, but with an OEM brake controller. $99 on eBay and pay a dealer to tell the on board computer it now has a brake controller. Is there any reason this wouldn't work? I prefer things to look factory unless it just isn't possible. Thoughts?

Thanks! I'll hang up and listen.
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:42 AM   #2

I can't comment on reprogramming the chassis computer. If you are lucky you may not have to reprogram it. You may have to install a relay and fuse in one or both fuse panels. Check your owner's manual when you get your Sunseeker. You can download it from Ford.

I think there was a thread in the FROG forum about installing a factory controller in an E450. Do a search for it. I'm using my smart phone and can't do that without losing this post.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
Class C Representative

If you pull out the coin slot above the radio you're going to see a plug and play wiring harness that you can use. Whether you use that harness or not you wont need to flash the computer system.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
Chief tinkerer

Thanks for the help.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 03-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #5
BEFUDDELED MEMBER

I was told by Ford that if the F450 Chassis was not ordered from the factory with the intragal brake controler it can not be retrofitted. The after market brake controller interface plug behind the coin cubby is for after market controllers. I used the cubby and cut a section out of the back of it to allow my prodegy controller to be mounted in the cubby and plugged in to the OEM interface plug. Works fine and I still have half the cubby to use.

OEM NEW Trailer Brake Controller
100% Genuine Ford Motor Company parts

- Original equipment on 2011-2013 Ford Econoline vans built after 08/18/2008 only. This part is NOT compatible with F-Series Trucks

- This part CANNOT be installed on a vehicle not originally equipped with a brake controller - This part is only intended to be a replacement for a defective OEM module. We have tested this, Regardless if your van is equipped with the factory towing package the controller cannot be added unless installed at the factory.
Viet combat vet USNR, DAV, VFW, CCL. SASS
shooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
Chief tinkerer

Thanks shooter2. A couple of people over at the Ford truck forum have different information. It does involve a couple of more steps than just plugging in the OEM controller though. I will probably have to give it a try.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #7

I did as Shooter2 said and it works great. No reprogramming.
Niel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #8
Chief tinkerer

Great! Congrats.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
Class C Representative

Our chassis' are ordered with the harness included, not the brake controller. Someone can add an aftermarket brake controller if they feel the need to.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #10
Chief tinkerer

Thanks Josh. I got lazy and had the dealer put it on before delivery of our 2017 SS 3010. My "before first trip "to do" list" had gotten quite lengthy so I subbed this out. Its for an electric brake dolly so should be fine.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 05-18-2016, 07:54 PM   #11

Josh, did the Chevy 4500's 2014 model on a 2015 Forester, come through with the harness included? I'm looking to tow with mine and would like to tie into the existing wiring harness if possible.

Thanks

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote