Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Thank you for taking the time to document this procedure. Your writeup is clear and concise. I for one would not have thought to tackle this job. My slide would be a bit more involved but doable.
Any thoughts on taking the old gearbox apart and looking for the cause? Would love to see the inside and order of assembly. Oops, went back and reread the post. Looking forward to the disassembly.
I assume that you had to remove the bottom rail assembly to raise the gearbox, were there any bolts that could be used for leveling?Attachment 215308
I answered your question later in the posts.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #22
RV Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
Great write up. I have the same rig, so I feel more prepared for problems now. Just wondering does anything hold the top of the room in or guide it , or is it all just the floor slide?

Everything is guided by the black frame work on the floor which have 4 sets of roller bearings on each side, these hold the aluminum rails you can see on the underside of the slide while extended, and there are white nylon adjusters on the sides of the black frame work for left/right adjustment of the slide. On that note, these nylon adjusters are a wear item, mine were worn and not making contact with the aluminum rails. These need to be checked from time to time in my opinion. Also, there are 2 small blocks set screwed to the end of the aluminum rails (inboard side). If you take off the trim piece with the carpet on it, you can look under and see these blocks. These are the hard stops that prevent over extension of the slide room. One of mine was loose and not doing its job. I suggest checking these also and tightening them.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #23

Great info thanks so much
Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #24

Adventures in slideout repair

I did not remove any bottom rail assembly, so I can't comment on leveling.[/QUOTE]

I was wondering if these leveling bolts could be used to raise the slide enough to disengage the gear rack from the gear to allow the slide to move in. Maybe the little rollers would prevent this. I don't know. Just thinking about it as I am on the road.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #25

Question couldn't you left in slide and pull table and seating and flooring to get to gearbox and motor ?
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:48 PM   #26
RV Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I did not remove any bottom rail assembly, so I can't comment on leveling.

I was wondering if these leveling bolts could be used to raise the slide enough to disengage the gear rack from the gear to allow the slide to move in. Maybe the little rollers would prevent this. I don't know. Just thinking about it as I am on the road.[/QUOTE]

The up and down play between the rollers is very little. Not enough to disengage the gear teeth. Those rollers were the only tricky part to getting the slide out back into the coach. I had to get the level just right with the car jack and shims so that the rack wouldn't bind up and not move in the rollers.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #27
RV Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
Question couldn't you left in slide and pull table and seating and flooring to get to gearbox and motor ?

Wouldn't work. The floor is made of the same materials as the walls of the coach, a vacuum laminated sandwich of osb, foam insulation, and fiberglass. In the pictures below of the hole I cut, you can see the layers. just to the left of the hole, right where the cabinets start, on the underside of the slideout floor, is the aluminum rack that rides on the gear from the gear box. This prevented me from cutting the hole bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv14.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	215726   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv15.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	215727   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv16.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	215728   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv17.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	215729   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv18.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	215730  

Old 09-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #28

Probably a dumb question on my part but could it possibly just be the blue wire that was chewed up and shorted out?
Aaronbuckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:19 PM   #29
RV Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronbuckel View Post
Probably a dumb question on my part but could it possibly just be the blue wire that was chewed up and shorted out?
The blue wire didn't feed the motor, and the motor still worked, it was the gear box that broke.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:44 AM   #30

Wow. Very interesting. Looking forward to see how it goes.
JerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #31

They should sticky this post in the forums as not to be lost..
Old 10-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #32

Hi,
I finally made it home from a wonderful trip to New Mexico. I am preparing to replace the broken ragbox with a new one that I sourced from your post (PDX). Your post is very helpful. I was planning on removing the slide as you posted but was wondering if you had any idea how much the slide weighs? Trying to figure out how much support/help I am going to need to remove/replace it.
Thanks.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #33
RV Nomad

I estimate it is in the 300 lbs. Range. I went a little overkill with 4x4 legs and 2x6 horizontals.

Tags
repair, slide, sunseeker, vent