Old 09-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Just bought three AGM 31 batteries from Interstate. A ton of amp hrs, but big time expensive. Also, they have a three year unconditional replacement warranty. I'm not sure any other battery manufacturer offers that. I actually bought them for their amp hr ratings. $265 each!
So what is there amp hr rating?

Old 09-08-2015, 10:31 PM   #12

190 amp hrs each according to the figures the rep went over with me and how they figured it with reserve rating. My other batteries were 125 amp hrs, but were flooded and I didn't want them in an enclosed area even though the area is power vented.
They just do fit into a 31 battery box with no room to spare, but are taller than the other batteries and weigh about 4 lbs more [71 lbs].

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:04 PM   #13

Below is the Interstate site for the Group 31-AMG7 batteries. Scroll down to see the specks.
Interstate Batteries Results Page - D replacement battery
Old 09-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #14

I`ve had an AGM in my Excursion since 09. it still turns over quick, has never gone dead, and the biggest thing.....no corrosion on the terminals!
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #15

If your batteries are outside the RV and not in an enclosed area, flooded batteries are OK. If your battery compartment is in an enclosed compartment, AMG is the only way to go. No gases or maintenance on the AMGs.
It just depends on your bats location AND how much you want to spend. AMGs are pricey, but you get what you pay for and AMGs charge much faster than lead/acid bats.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:26 AM   #16

Yes, SAMs batteries are Dracell
Old 09-29-2015, 02:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
190 amp hrs each according to the figures the rep went over with me and how they figured it with reserve rating. My other batteries were 125 amp hrs, but were flooded . . . .
Mike,
The spec sheet you pointed to says:
ReserveCapacity-25: 190.00

What that means is that when the battery is supplying a constant 25 amps, it will be able to keep that up for 190 minutes. That is not an amp-hour spec. This spec sheet does not give an amp-hour spec. That is suspicious. It is probably not a true deep cycle battery. Notice how they emphasize Cold Cranking Amps. This usually means that it was really designed primarily as a starting battery.

Amp-hours for a typical Group 31 deep cycle battery will be in the neighborhood of 105 Ah when measured using a 20 hour discharge rate. It is common to spec and compare amp-hours using a 20 hour discharge rate for deep cycle batteries. You might see amp-hours listed using other discharge rates, but look first to see what the battery amp-hour rating is using a 20-hour discharge rate.

Take for example, this Group 31 AGM battery:
Duracell® AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery - Group Size 31 - Sam's Club

These specs give amp-hours for various discharge rates, but at the 20 hour rate, it is spec'd at 105 amp-hours. You might also notice that its Reserve Capacity at 25 amps is 210 minutes.

2012 Rockwood A128 (no S)
2016 Ram Outdoorsman 5.7L Hemi 4x4
DanM-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #18

Dang it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
x2 on Sam's Club AGM. Old battery (original) was failing and gasses were setting off CO/LP detector. Much better to have sealed batteries with no maintenance issues. 2012s only came with one battery, so took the opportunity to upgrade to two. As others have said, two battery setups must have matching batteries.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Everytime I read sump'en that's got Rvbill attached to it I seem to spend money. So what two AGM batts fit in the 2300 footwell?

I tell DW I am just doing the required mechanical upgrades as called for on "the forum". There will be a day when that dog won't hunt....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:08 PM   #19

I am using two group 31 Blue tops in my SunSeeker 3100SS. Changed out the controller to a staged one with 305 watts of solar on the roof. More than enough trouble free power! Have an Optima in my Hot Rod that's been working since 2000.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #20

Just for reference. Normal automotive service is different than camper and misc. service. Open the hood of your car or TV. Whew it's hot. They even put blankets on the batteries now a days.

The real secret to battery life is maintenance...especially on ones that set months at a time....yes I sold batteries for 25 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery