Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

air bag suspension

Have a new 2860 Sunseeker. Any ideas on right amount of pressure for the Firestone rear suspension air bags? Manual not specific.
brierfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #2

I have a 3170 and usually run them between 50 and 70. I think it's not quite as harsh of a ride at 50. That's with just my wife and I. I've had 7 people in the coach and ran them at 70. I usually tow a vehicle also.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #3

I run 60 most of the time in a 3010ds. Since I am a little heavier than your rig, you might start off with 50 and see how it goes. The airbags do make a noticeable difference in handling.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #4

Anything from 5 to 100 psi is OK. Adjust until you like the ride. Usually 50-60 is a good starting place. More for heavy loads or in strong cross winds. Add air in very short bursts--it takes very little to make a big change.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #5

I had a 2900 and with a 360 pound scooter on the hitch I ran them at 60 PSI. Nice smooth ride
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #6

Agree with RVBills comments, and would add that the manual says don't let them be completely deflated (or over inflate past 100) as that will damage them.

I run on the road at 30-50 PSI, and it gives a bit of a softer feel to the ride. 80-90 is good for once you are parked to stiffen up the suspension so you don't get so much bounce walking around the RV, but I forgot to deflate the last time and it was noticeably rougher over bumps.

A lot of it seems to be a feel and preference decision, just keep it between 5-100 psi.

2012 SunSeeker 3170ds
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Ninja Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #7

We use a bicycle pump with a built in pressure gauge for the airbags. Only takes a few strokes to add all the air pressure you may want. Quick and easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #8

We have a 2012 2900, I got the impression from the Forest River manual that these air bags were for leveling your coach when sitting on a level surface, meaning correcting suspension sag. I have them at 40psi, but today coming out of the mountains I was having some stability issues and I think I'll try 60psi next trip. Thoughts? I could use a little advise with tire pressures, checking shocks, steering stabilizer, and air bags.
Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #9

Air bags are part of the suspension designed to assist in getting a stable, comfortable ride. They "dampen" the movement of the springs. They do help keep the MH "level", in that they assist the other suspension parts depending on the load. (Actually, "level" is not what you want. A slight nose-down position will ride better.) The air bags can also be adjusted to a firmer ride (more air) when in a cross wind to help avoid rocking back and forth. They are not really for leveling a parked MH, but some people do add pressure to them when parked to stabilize the MH a little.

Tires pressures should be adjusted according to what is says on the sticker on the driver's door frame. For my Chevy chassis, it is 65psi front and 80psi rear. Yours may be different.

Ford chassis seems to need a front end alignment--use specs found elsewhere on this forum.

Some have added stabilizers and different shocks, but don't even consider until you check tire pressures, alignment, and try different pressures in the air bags (anything between 5 and 100--try 50 to 60 to start). Also make sure you are not overloading the MH. If there is any question about that, take a trip to the scales and get weighed.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 10-19-2014, 09:18 PM   #10

Good info Bill thanks, I'll check back in later after I try 60 psi on the bags. I do have my tires inflated to spec, my unit had 57K on it so I'm wondering if its time for shocks. I just had tires and an alignment done and I haven't smacked any curbs.. lol
Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension