Old 04-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #1
Senior Gold Member

Air bags enough?

We are anticipating picking up our 2019 - Sunseeker 3010 DS at the end of April. Interestingly enough when I got a build sheet it refers to that model as a 3010 DSF. Having always pulled a trailer I have experienced the push pull of passing semis and wind gusts, not sure that a class C would be worse than that. Commrnts?
According to the build sheet and the salesmen the 3010 DS has air bags but none of the steering or front and rear stabilizer or track bars discussed in many forums. What had been the experience of other Sunseeker, have the regular suspension with air bags been enough or am I going to be heading to a suspension shop in the near future. Have you been forced to modify and if so what did you do.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomaslyons View Post
We are anticipating picking up our 2019 - Sunseeker 3010 DS at the end of April. Interestingly enough when I got a build sheet it refers to that model as a 3010 DSF. Having always pulled a trailer I have experienced the push pull of passing semis and wind gusts, not sure that a class C would be worse than that. Commrnts?
According to the build sheet and the salesmen the 3010 DS has air bags but none of the steering or front and rear stabilizer or track bars discussed in many forums. What had been the experience of other Sunseeker, have the regular suspension with air bags been enough or am I going to be heading to a suspension shop in the near future. Have you been forced to modify and if so what did you do.
We bought our 3010DS brand new 5 years ago and have not had any problems with handling or with the air bags/suspension. We are getting ready to buy new tires since they were new on the 13th week of 2014. They show no wear or side wall cracks but I believe it's time to replace them. Never felt the push/pull of semi's but have felt strong wind gusts. Good luck with your sunseeker and safe travels.

2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Butch & Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #3

I felt the push pull of semi's I have a 2013 3010ds. I did also white knuckle it during the first few drives always correcting the sway a little.

I installed Bilstein shocks all around and a steering stabilizer well worth the $500 dollar investment. now I can sit and relax on the drive.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #4

Some E350/E450 have handling issues, some do not, the following may explain the difference:

Ford ships all E350/E450 cut aways with identical fixed, non adjustable
caster/camber sleeves, "one size fits all".

The RV builder almost never changes the Ford sleeves, as a result:

If the final RV build is nose down one degree then the runtime caster will be about +3.5 degrees. These units can have a real wandering problem.

If the final RV build is nose level then the runtime caster will be about +4.5 degrees. These units are probably indifferent.

If the final RV build is nose up one degree then the runtime caster will be about +5.5 degrees. These units are probably just fine, possibly excepting the 31+ footers.

So, some RVs have a problem with wandering at highway speeds and some do not have a problem. JMO.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #5

My one month old RV is the shorter (27 ft) Sunseeker 2440 model. It wanders a lot pulling a toad. It wanders less without the toad but is still annoying. With or without the toad passing semis have a big effect. The issue increases significantly above 50 MPH.

I have tried increasing air pressure in the tires and the air bags with no noticeable improvement.

Since I am in the Western NC mountains the nearest Ford dealer that can do an alignment is about 1.5 hours away. My first step will be to have alignment checked. Then probably suspension mods.

I find it surprising that Ford UHaul trucks with the same chassis that I have rented drive well but my RV doesn't. Hope you have better luck with yours.
North Carolina Mountains
scfishnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfishnman View Post
My one month old RV is the shorter (27 ft) Sunseeker 2440 model. It wanders a lot pulling a toad. It wanders less without the toad but is still annoying. With or without the toad passing semis have a big effect. The issue increases significantly above 50 MPH.

I have tried increasing air pressure in the tires and the air bags with no noticeable improvement.

Since I am in the Western NC mountains the nearest Ford dealer that can do an alignment is about 1.5 hours away. My first step will be to have alignment checked. Then probably suspension mods.

I find it surprising that Ford UHaul trucks with the same chassis that I have rented drive well but my RV doesn't. Hope you have better luck with yours.
I doubt a Ford dealer is going to help. The caster specification casts a broad brush, from about +1.5 to +7.0 degrees, so they will just do a "tweak the toe and you are good to go" type of alignment. Best you find a truck suspension specialty shop and tell them your unit wanders at highway speeds.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #7
Usually Confused Member

The only thing I've installed on the E450 is the Safe-T-Plus steering thing. It was a major improvement for the constant steering corrections present in the first 1,000 miles or so before the mod. Now, no more wandering than any other vehicle I've driven.

As far as tractor trailer rigs causing push/pull just live with it. With the Safety Plus it becomes a minor problem but very manageable. I've ridden in a 70,000 pound rig and guess what...even they get pushed/pulled a little when another big rig comes alongside.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #8
ChucknBecky

We have a 2017 3010DSF. We tow a 2014 Jeep Wrangler JKU with the Ready Brute tow bar/braking system. The combination works well for us.
The issue with cross winds, road rut seeking, passing trucks and road conditions all have an effect on handling. What we did to mitigate most external inputs is the first thing I did was to add a wireless automatic air pump for the air bags. What I do is to measure the rear bumper height before we load for a trip then measure it again after the coach is loaded. Then inflate to get the ride height back including lean left or right. The system can control the pressure in the bags individually all from in cab controls. Once you set the pressure the system will maintain it. I don't have to go in and out of the storage compartments to adjust the bags for load conditions. $440 adn 3 hours of my labor. Next I replaced the stock Ford front and rear sway/torsion bars with upgraded heavy duty sway bars from Heilwig. With Ford's twin I beam suspension system, body roll is the biggest negative input It works, but it takes some getting used s to letting the steering wheel do its thing but still trying to keep the coach centered in your lane. The replacement sway bars are huge and very strong compared to the stock bars. This in my opinion has done more to improve road manners of the coach/toad combination. We are very pleased and have clocked about 10000 miles already.
lckspt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #9

A year ago, DW & I purchased a 2018, 3010DSF (F is for Ford). Took it from Vermont to Montana & back as well as some other local trips. She drives it too. Only once did we tow, and that was locally with a small trailer. Overall I would say the drivability was ok. The long days of driving did get to me, and while no bad winds they do push you. Don't know how we managed but we had a tail wind going west in South Dakota. Anyway, I am looking now to upgrade and am thinking from digging here and there that I want the Safe-T-Plus stability control, and some heavy duty sway bars, probably Hell wig. A friend said I should replace the bushings with neoprene ones, but not sure about this. You can probably get away with one or the other, but this quote "Steering Stabilizers fix the symptom, Anti-Sway Bars fix the problem.". That said, I think the Safe-T-Plus is well worth getting solely for case of a blowout. Probably why I'm going to do both. At this point I'm still researching.
"Steering Stabilizers fix the symptom, Anti-Sway Bars fix the problem."

2018 Sunseeker DS
FlippinUid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #10
Senior Gold Member

Once we get our rig we are going to take a few shorter trips with our new 3010 DSF with and without our 2018 Corolla iM to see how it handles. We have towed trailers for years so have experienced some road rambling but the RAM 2500 was pretty stable. Like you I am thinking the steering stabilizer is a likely first alteration to smoothen our road handling and assist in the case of blow outs, don’t know that much about Hancook tires...

Tags
air bags