Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

Air Bags used to level.

Has anyone added air compressors to be able to control the left and right bag separately to level the unit side to side? I know the book says to do this using a tape measure at the fender height. But I’m looking to have a way to do this once parked at a site without having to tote a compressor. And how much travel do you think one could get with say one bag at 10 and the other at 80psi?
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #2

OK to answer my own question the answer would be no to this project. This weekend I measured my wheel wells on both sides with both bags set at 30PSI to get a base, I then pulled all air out of one side 0PSI and pumped up the other to 75 PSI and only got a 1/2" difference. so not worth the expense to add a 2 pump system.
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #3

Our previous 5w required airbags, and rather than having a system with a pump, we purchased one without. The driver and passenger side are independent. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what pressure "you" should have, but a level tow vehicle is important, so adjust accordingly.
Headlights that shine toward the moon and the ability to see over the hood may be annoying and dangerous.
Furthermore, unequal pressures on your tires will cause problems.
With this RV, we use 15-20 pounds rather than 35 # on the other unit (dependent on the tow of course).
Mike
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air bags