Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

Air Conditioner

I've searched all over the internet for an answer but couldn't find a straight and simple one. Can I run the AC on my 3170ds when using an adapter plugged into household 120V power? And can the AC be ran off of the generator when no power is available? Thanks
DMezzoprete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #2

There is no straight answer on the topic of can you plug your RV into a standard 5-20R or 5-15R standard household plug. Short answer is the voltages are indeed the same (120v) and they do sell plug adapters to make the physical connections mate...so YES you can. Won't harm a thing until you start to draw more amps than the household plug is desigened for (15 or 20 amps) or use to long AND small of an extension cord for the amp draw. Bottom line, I do it all the time while parked in families driveways and such. Just manage your power draw and don't use an extension cord (unless it's the 30amp extension cord with the RV plug ends on it). Turn your fridge on LP, water heater LP only, and start off with charged batteries. One air conditioner pulls 11-12amps @ 120v (amp draw goes up as the voltage goes down...ie the longer the cord you use).

Regarding generator and powering the air conditioner. That does have a straight answer... YES. Your generator is rated at 33amps 120v... It can power everything in your coach the same as if you were plugged into a campground 30amp RV plug. It's there to provide you electricity whenever you want it when you can't plug in.

We run ours 8-10 hrs a day when traveling in order to keep the coach cool and comfortable for the kids in the back. Or When parked at water parks and amusement parks to keep the dogs cool and from being 100+ degrees when you get in. Basically, during summer time while on the road our generators running from 9am till we pull into a campground for the night. There has been days where we've ran it 12 hours. Just check the oil and top it off to about the half-way mark each day you run it.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #3

You can run your rig/ac off of a house current, usually 120 volt / 20 amp via and adapter. But, the minute you start turning on other items in the rv, or other items in the house/garage on the same circuit as the one your pluggen into, your probably going to start tripping breakers, either in the rv or the house.
Your best and safest option is to simply run a dedicated 120 volt / 30 amp line on it's own 30 amp breaker. Run it to an outside wall, install a waterproof outlet box, and your set to go. Plug your unit in and run the whole thing.
I did this on our house and the total for all the material was around $75.00, which is less than a good 10 guage 50 foot extention cord and a 30 amp rv plug adapter. In the long run this is tha safest way, don't have to worry about any extention cords heating up, ot tripping breakers.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner