Old 04-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #1

Air conditioner vibration...not what you think

When the a/c is blowing in our 3100ss the whole motorhome vibrates. Figuring there was something in the squirrel cage I pulled the cover off the ceiling inside. Fan was clean and the shift didn't look bent. I turned the fan on and there was no vibration...chalk one up for my superior mechanical skills. As I went to put the cover back up, the vibration returned...even putting my hand toward where the air was coming out (restricting the output at all) the vibration returns...almost like resonance in the ductwork! With the cover installed the vibration is present even with the dump vent open. Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 04-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #2

Did you grab the cage and move it? The shaft could be worn out and the cover changes the load on it enough to make it move.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #3

Yes...tried to move it and it felt solid. MH is only one season old....

Old 04-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #4

Had a similar issue once and it was a dirt dabber nest on the outside fan. Had to take top cover off to remove nest.
Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 Weight Distribution w/ 4-Point Sway Control
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #5

Checked the outside fan as well...both are clean. Vibration makes it tough to sleep!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #6

bclemens...any ideas on this one? I can't figure it out....

Old 04-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
GM

Nope. I would call Dometic, explain the same thing to them. If you can recreate the vibration just by restricting airflow they must have a solution. I've never heard of it before.

All our ducts are molded foam, so not sure how that is vibrating.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad_jr View Post
When the a/c is blowing in our 3100ss the whole motorhome vibrates. Figuring there was something in the squirrel cage I pulled the cover off the ceiling inside. Fan was clean and the shift didn't look bent. I turned the fan on and there was no vibration...chalk one up for my superior mechanical skills. As I went to put the cover back up, the vibration returned...even putting my hand toward where the air was coming out (restricting the output at all) the vibration returns...almost like resonance in the ductwork! With the cover installed the vibration is present even with the dump vent open. Any ideas?

What I would try from your explanation and the cover will only do it when on. Try to put some rubber insulation between the cover and the underside of the mounting and see if that stops it you don't need it thick just to stop any vibration. See if that helps. Also make sure all your vents are open to lower the static pressure of the fan. It's not in your duct work being there is none. The key here to me is that cover your putting on. It almost sounds like it's restricting the R/A. I guess that's a good place to start. Will the R/A hold a piece of paper up?
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #9

bclemens...Thank you...I'll give them a call when we get home...was hoping for something easy!
gljurczyk...return holds up a piece of paper no problem. Don't think rubber will help...it's not the cover that's vibrating...it's actually the whole ceiling that vibrates. All vents are wide open...wondering if one of the ducts is blocked? Not sure how to check that out...don't want to damage anything. Might have to wait until we get home to investigate further....

Old 04-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad_jr View Post
Checked the outside fan as well...both are clean. Vibration makes it tough to sleep!

If you need the A/C just leave that cover off your not going to hurt anything. At Least then you will able to sleep. This has came up before, you are not the first. I have been trying to figure out what the thread was.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner