Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #1

Air ride inflation

So I went to my local service station to adjust my tire pressure and the air ride pressure but it seems the valves on the air ride inflators on both sides of my 3170ds are too short for the connection on the air hose. This is not the first time this has happened, previously at a gas station. My car service guy tells me they sell something that might extend the stem valves, does anyone know how I can fix it so I can get air in the air bags? Thanks everyone for all the help you have been giving me!
beachbum107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #2

I have a clip on air chuck for my compressor and it wouldn't work so I bought the traditional chuck but haven't tried it yet. I have a flow through valve stem cap on my tires, might have to try those on the air bag valves.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ADX44A2AMJDYO
Old 08-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
Wait till next year...

Not sure where your valves are on your rig. If in a compartment see if you can tighten the nut holding the valve so more of the valve extends into the compartment. If that doesnt work remove the nut and washer pull the schrader valve out and check that the valve will take air without anything holding it back. if itll take air clean the outside of the compartment where it goes in the hole.Put it back together. If it still wont take air your probably looking at a bad valve or a kink in the airline. Both easy to replace and Firestone has a service kit with parts
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #4

I had the same problem , couldn't get anymore length changed my air chuck and air pressure gauge now carry my own air source and you can use a bicycle pump if needed just make sure it has enough pressure and hose is long enough most commercial air stations won't work
Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

I use a bicycle pump with a clip on chuck. Mine has a gauge on the pump body. A bicycle store is the place to find one. A few strokes is all it takes to get all the pressure you need. Much easier than fighting a gas station air hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #6

budblack,
Is there a specific size chuck I should be looking for?
Thanks
beachbum107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:26 AM   #7

Autozone.

Slime/1 1/4 in. metal valve extenders 2045-A at AutoZone.com
Old 08-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
Not sure where your valves are on your rig. If in a compartment see if you can tighten the nut holding the valve so more of the valve extends into the compartment. If that doesnt work remove the nut and washer pull the schrader valve out and check that the valve will take air without anything holding it back. if itll take air clean the outside of the compartment where it goes in the hole.Put it back together. If it still wont take air your probably looking at a bad valve or a kink in the airline. Both easy to replace and Firestone has a service kit with parts
This is what I did. Works well.

I use the pump in the attached pic for both the bags and tires.

$50 at low's
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #9

No just a longer pin in the middle to depress needle valve on air bags easy to find. Couple dollars at harbor freight air gauge the same way
Old 08-19-2015, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum107 View Post
budblack,
Is there a specific size chuck I should be looking for?
Thanks
In Bicycle Pump terminology it is Scrader Valve (for size or type of chuck), nicer bike pump will have the guage and the chuck has a lever that locks it on the valve, so it does not pop off, and you can pump hands free.

Presta Valve is a different size chuck --made for the skinny valves of road bikes and now most higher end bicycles(Mtn Bikes, etc).

Many bike pump chucks will have reversable chuck that can work for both types of valves.

I too use my bike pump, much easier than compressor, and only takes a few pumps to top off air ride system, alonbg with having the built in guage.

Markiemark
Markiemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #11

I agree with Markiemark. A Schrader valve is the standard valve used every car I've ever had, on our motorhome tires, and on the air bags. The bike pump with an attached gauge on the body and a clip-on chuck for a Schrader valve will probably be fifty bucks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #12

Here's such a pump. Needs to have a hose so you can pump standing while the chuck is fastened to the valve.

Charger - | Bontrager
Old 08-19-2015, 03:08 PM   #13
Site Team

The Schrader valves on mine have about 1 inch of thread and I can expose more of less on the stem by tightening and loosening the locking nuts. See if you can expose more stem so you can get the chuck down tight.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
The Schrader valves on mine have about 1 inch of thread and I can expose more of less on the stem by tightening and loosening the locking nuts. See if you can expose more stem so you can get the chuck down tight.
I think I need a valve similar to what you have. The core valve I have now is not adjustable as far as I know. Once you screw it in and it bottoms out, the stem is to far down and most chucks won't reach it. It's only like that on my inner tires on the rear. The other 4 tires valve stems are just fine.

Oh, by the way, no problem putting air in the air ride valves.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #15

I have this and it works well. http://www.amazon.com/Viair-40047-Au...air+compressor
bdifonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:46 AM   #16

Had the same problem with my air bags. Went to Les Shwabs to get aired up and the guys just screwed on some valve extenders. Problem fixed. And free!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
Site Team

I shipped my bad manifold back to airlift today for rebuild. Got an estimate of @$90 for rebuild. I'll be so glad to have my wireless system up and running again.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote