Old 05-21-2015, 10:15 PM   #11

I wonder what does FR set E450 alinment at? Has anyone tightened the steering box a bit, understanding too much will bind steering. I want to minimize steering wheel free play again understanding reciprocating ball is known for this compaired to rack and pinion. Not expecting rack and pinion, just to minimize free play. My rig has 2K not even broke in. Any thoughts.

Friend of Bill and Lois
since May 30, 1975
Happywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:23 PM   #12

I wouldn't think that would be needed with 2000 or 4000 miles which is what mine has now hope mine will do better on interstates no problems on slower highways

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 05-21-2015, 10:42 PM   #13

Steering Free play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
I wouldn't think that would be needed with 2000 or 4000 miles which is what mine has now hope mine will do better on interstates no problems on slower highways

That's my point, I have two inches of static and dynamic free play. Seems too much, don't really know. Wonder how to ask Ford. Would they tell me. Any thoughts bclemens
Friend of Bill and Lois
since May 30, 1975
Old 05-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #14

My ford dealer here would check it out under the ford warranty without any problem yours probably will to

Old 05-22-2015, 12:05 AM   #15

TEC1957, I agree with your description of the E450 steering 100%. I had a Chevy previously and the difference in handling is like night and day. However, I don't understand how the stabilizers and different shocks will improve the steering under normal conditions, that is, no cross winds or uneven roads. My perception is that the steering linkage is sloppy (loose) and the steering ratio is too low. What does the Blue Printed Steering Box do for that?
Old 05-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #16

The Safe-T-Plus stabilizer assist in the steering wheel returning to center position, (which was a big concern for me) not 10 or 2, depending on left or right turn as with the OEM one. Further research on Safe-T-Plus will also assist in a front tire failure, by keeping the vehicle straight. The Koni FSD (Frequency Selective Damping) these are self adjusting shocks for a smoother ride and will eliminate some side to side rocking. The current OEM shocks are built for the E450 van chassis, in IMHO is why I selected this brand. The blue printed steering box took all the slop out of the steering, now when I turn the wheel left or right the response is incredible.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #17

Blueprinted steering box

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC1957 View Post
The Safe-T-Plus stabilizer assist in the steering wheel returning to center position, (which was a big concern for me) not 10 or 2, depending on left or right turn as with the OEM one. Further research on Safe-T-Plus will also assist in a front tire failure, by keeping the vehicle straight. The Koni FSD (Frequency Selective Damping) these are self adjusting shocks for a smoother ride and will eliminate some side to side rocking. The current OEM shocks are built for the E450 van chassis, in IMHO is why I selected this brand. The blue printed steering box took all the slop out of the steering, now when I turn the wheel left or right the response is incredible.
Sorry, what is IMHO and what is a blueprinted steering box, where can I get one. Can stock be improved? Did you select Saf-T-Plus over Roadmaster because of the internal centering spring verses Roadmasters external one? Is there any static or dynamic free play in your wheel now? Thanks for all thoughts. I'm obsessed with this.
Friend of Bill and Lois
since May 30, 1975
Old 05-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #18

In My Humble Opinion. Blue printed steering box is a unit that has be re-work with tighter tolerances. I choose the Safe-T-Plus based on research I complied. There is absolutely no play in the steering now...What a relief...I was also obsessed...
Old 05-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #19

So do the Fords have to be realigned? If so, when?

My 2451s seems to drive pretty good but only 5000 miles so far.

See lots of threads about Forest River or Ford doing an alignment for free. True or False?

Also see lots of references to alignment specs but have never really seen them. Is this something to provide to the shop?

Brian what do you mean by "settle"? Does that mean we should get an alignment after awhile?
Old 05-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #20

Generally speaking after 2,000 miles... The spec's listed at the beginning of this thread are the same spec's listed BClemens. From my understanding on this forum, several other members had their MH aligned, depending on 12,000 miles or 12 months. When I had my Blue Printed Steering Box installed I had Henderson's do my alignment...

Tags
alignment, ford, suspension