Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

Amateur Radio in SS2860

I'm trying to permanently install an IC706 in ours. Behind the coach seemed a good place until I tried to figure out wire routing, Looking for ideas on how others may have done it. We've had AC powered radios on table with ant run through window but its a pain so had hoped for aux batteries to 706 to ... then it really got hard. tnx
geri
N4GHI
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #2

Amateur Radio in SS2860

Have been thinking about this for six months for my Tracer tt. Currently, I am looking at 2m operation. I can hit local repeaters with the antenna on a magnet mount on the hitch. both the coax and power leads from the battery can enter through the hookup area and enter the living area Fromm under the bed. I know you need height for the antenna, for HF. I also was looking at running conduit pipe attached to the frame and entering through the hookup area or adjacent to it (drilling through the floor. A bulkhead barrel connector into the storage area. Under the bed would facilitate removing or replacing the antenna with minimal effort.

Hope that give you some ideas.

Btw, how old is the SS? Any significant problems. hoping to trade up some day, if all goes well. SS, Thor Chateau or Winabago Minnie.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:35 PM   #3

On our Georgetown, I mounted a 2m antenna on the luggage rack, ran the cable down the latter, then forward up the frame, then entered the coach following a bunch of other power wires. We have dual batteries under the entry step like most gas class A's, so I ran a dedicated, fused 12 wire into the coach for the radio. The cables come up under the kitchen counter, not exactly where I wanted them, but OK. I ran extensions from the entry point to the radio.

Under the coach, I encased the coax and wires in split tubing from an automotive store to protect them.

I would have drilled through the floor to better locate the cables but could not do it on my rig.

Now I am looking at HF. I think I will use a ladder antenna such as the Eagle One. I will either reuse the coax or install another line following the same path. Have not selected a radio yet.

Dave
KG7JCA
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #4

amatuer radio in rv

tnx guys for the ideas. Our house batteries are under the entry step with an exit hole that routes them aft. I want to minimize the number of holes, so would like to use existing ones. I've thought of a hole through fwd wall of the battery compartment and then up through the floor to the area behind couch, but haven't got the heart to drill through the floor, We use a ladder mounted Hustler and a bulkhead connection for the antenna back by the hitch seems to be the best answer for the antenna; just every time I think of drilling through a wall/floor, I lose my nerve.
geri
N4GHI
Old 04-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #5

It is a 2013 SunSeeker. We have had a lot more problems with it than I would have liked and found dealer support almost nonexistent, but it drives well, gets decent (8ish) milage, and a comfortable dwelling when away. One caveat - it has the standard truck seats. Our previous RV had captains chair for driver. It makes a BIG difference.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #6

I tried to drill through the floor but.... we have 2 floors with about 4" space between them. The lower level is metal so I couldn't get through it. I routed through the existing wire run by removing the foam insulation. I have a can of spray foam to replace what I removed but have not used it yet.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #7

Sorry to hear of the difficulties with the coach, Geri. I know this is not an expensive unit comparatively speaking. However, for many of us, it is just beyond comfortable reach. It is discouraging to hear of all the difficulties. these are supposed to be fun, not another headache. Have had very few problems with my new trailer, so far, but DW refers to it as a money pit. Someday, I hope to move up to a MH which is what I have always really wanted. Hope all is good for you from here on out. Enjoy the ride.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #8

One of the things I was looking at for my 2m, most RV's comes with the satellite prep on top that we have never used with no plains to. I was thinking of replacing the coax and mounting 2m antenna or maybe some type of fold over. WB4FSN
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #9

I was able to look for and find the seatbelt bolts on both top and bottom. With careful measurement it was possible at least on mine to get through under the bench where there is no metal in the way. I ran power from the coach batteries and coax to the rear ladder.

Mine is a 3170ds.

Tim Neu
Kc0lql
timjneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #10

Hey Guys , glad to see some other Hams aboard ! Currently in South Texas till end of May , then who knows where . Monitor 146.520 when mobile . on 2 mtr and 10 , 40 , and 80 mtr when parked . Run an IC 7100 in Rv and IC T7H and IC V8000 in tow rig . Use Comet CA-2X4SR on TV and various dipole set ups when parked along with a LittleTarheel II mounted on home brew extender mounted to front A frame . Have a Blessed week , 73s , Al WA5AEW
Alley Cat and Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #11

RV ham radio setup

For our RV (Salem Villa Estate) I drilled a 1/2" hole directly through the plywood floor just above the 12v battery box and ran the RG8X, ground and 12vdc power wires through it. The coax goes about halfway along the frame then up the outside to a Hustler 40m whip. Our previous destination trailer had a separate room I used for a ham shack and computer room, but our current Salem is arranged differently, so I ended up placing my IC735, SS-amp and tuner all in a chairside flip-top table. It works great - I talked to the same ham in Japan four times over a two week period just before the recent solar flare-ups. With the top closed it looks just like an end table and keeps the XYL happy. KW5D
Alexha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #12

Thanks for all the good info. Our house batteries are under the entrance step with a hole in the wall of the compartment running the cables aft. The current plan is to mount the main unit in the storage compartment forward of the battery box. The coax will go through the back through the battery box and continue through following the DC lines to the back compartment. So far only a small hole through fwd battery compartment wall. But then need to penetrate floor to reach control head in coach and the floor of the aft storage compartment to run the antenna line out to the ladder, and mount the Hustler on the ladder so that driving its folded down, but only needs to be put upright when parked to operate, Hope my floor behind the couch is more penetrable. Used to operate mobile to and from work with 100 w and 9 ft whip. Over the years work both Japan and Europe; just could never predict when it was going to happen.

Tags
radio