Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #1

Anyone replace their couch?

My couch looks likes its 10 years old, but its only two years old. I only have 20,000. miles. The material is obviously very cheap and i want to replace it.
Anyone else with the 2010DS have this issue and if so did you replace it?
kitejunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #2

I have a 3100SS. Did not like the covering on ours, so I pulled it and had re-covered in a nice leatherett, looks like a Barbers chair.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm in the process of replacing our sleeper sofa with theater seating. Bought the seating at the rally. I'll install it when I get home. Left rally and went to. Cedar Point for the weekend. Our sofa is 2yrs old, but still looks like new though. It was just uncomfortable as a sofa/recliner.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #4

Uncomfortable and the pleather covering is shot out
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #5

Thanks for reply Aquaman was it hard to get out the door? What did you pay to have recovered?
kitejunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #6

We replaced the jack knife with two swivel rocker recliner euro style chairs. Much more comfortable as well as being able to sit in proper position to see the tv.

I can post link to the write up I did on here if you want.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #7

We replaced our couch with the theater seating in our 3010DS. Best decision we made. Much more comfortable.

Shirley
Old 08-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #8

Bought a Forrest River Lexington w 15000 miles. Couch etc had been totally messed up by kids, sloppy adults etc. Carpet that cheap shag crap. Took to a carpet shop and had new really nice Berber put in +/-$1000.00, then to a auto re-upholsterer and a really nice high grade wear resistant fabric installed on the benches and couch. Had a complementary fabric installed on the trim pieces. Like brand new only better. +/- $2000.00. Very happy after over a year.
windowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #9

Replaced Sofa Bed

We did the same some years back. Not that the sofa was worn out but not as comfortable as "regular" home sofas. I had to disassemble the original sofa that was in the RV so I can get it out the door but then replaced it with a Castro Convertible couch from the house. It was bigger and much more comfortable than the original equipment furnished with the RV. So I'm basically saying if you're handy ( or get a buddy that is) you don't have to stick with "RV furniture" you can improve upon it with regular home furnishings. Just be sure to secure as necessary for traveling safety sake. Best wishes.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #10
jkoenig24

I had ProCustomInc in Elkhart, IN, replace most of the OEM furniture in my Dynamax DX3-37RB two years ago. The OEM stuff was beautiful eye candy but, when sitting/lying down for more than about 30 minutes, that OEM furniture was NOT comfortable. I was even able to stay in my rig overnight so I didn't have to pay for a motel. I would definitely use (and can recommend) ProCustomInc again.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #11

We bought a Coachmen Sportscoach this year, and went ahead and replaced the sofa bed thing with theater seating. We shopped around at regular furniture stores but didn't find what we wanted, so bit the bullet and ordered custom from Lambrights near Middlebury, IN wasn't inexpensive, but boy are they nice and comfortable and fit right in our space. Anyone else have one from Lambrights? I'm curious on how well they hold up, seems high quality, but you never know.
Sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #12

We replaced our sofa with a Lambrights dual reclining sofa a couple of years ago and love it. We replaced our barrel chair st the same time with a Lambrights recliner. The vinyl on one of the arms is deteriorating. We think it's because we grab it for assistance when we enter the coach

We may stop by Lambrights next year and see if they can reupholster the arm.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpster808 View Post
We replaced the jack knife with two swivel rocker recliner euro style chairs. Much more comfortable as well as being able to sit in proper position to see the tv.

I can post link to the write up I did on here if you want.

Hi Gumpster808,
I see from your thread you installed the euro chairs. I have a sunseeker mbs2400w with the U dinette and would like to replace it wit the euro chairs ( swivel recliners).
I sure would appreciate anything you have on how to do the modifications.
BobCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitejunky1 View Post
Thanks for reply Aquaman was it hard to get out the door? What did you pay to have recovered?

Haven't removed the couch yet. Just got back home from the rally and a weekend at Cedar Point amusement park. I wasn't the one who did the recovering of the couch, but bought a new theater seating group. The group is in 3 pieces and the backs come off, so it will be fairly simple to install. Not sure about the sofa, but it was put in after the coach last was built, so I'm pretty sure I can get it out.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #15

I recovered mine a couple years ago. When they did it, they put more padding in the seat area and that made the seat 2 inches higher and much more comfy! To compensate for the added thickness of the seat, they made me a separate covered 2 inch thick pad to use when opened into a bed. Level and very comfy. The dogs loved it!
Old 08-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #16

I had excellent results using Wayfair. They deliver. I bought a better quality recliner than the one that came from the factory with my new GeorgeTown at 1/3 the cost of recovering the old recliner. Take your measure measurements and go on line @ Wayfair.com. I believe you will be amazed.
KK
kenkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #17

The furniture that comes with the RV is bonded leather. Does not hold up very well. I have recovered my theater seating but going forward will replace it with real seating from somewhere else - Ashley or some place. Much more comfortable and durable.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #18

Replaced the jack knife couch and the dinette, installed a corner nook, fly tying bench/desk with a drafting chair and a recliner. couldn't be happier, the "u" shaped dinette and 60" couch where uncomfortable and a waste of space for us (no kids traveling with us).
cphubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #19

Two recliners worked better than uncomfortable sofa

When we purchased our Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 5er, it had two leather-like recliners and an uphostered jacknife sofa with one of those blow up mattresses, plus two bar stools at the rear of the kitchen counter. Not only was the sofa uncomfortable, but it was just too crowded.

We took out the stools and the sofa and it opened up everything! There is only the two of us and we don't have grandchildren so don't need the extra sleeping space (and those recliners make for a great nap!)

We don't miss that cheap sofa at all. It is still in our storage shed so when we resell, we will put it back just because someone else may need the extra seating.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:02 AM   #20

I know...This is a bummer....

......it's the former English instructor still lurking deep within me....sooooo.....

It's "their" !!!!!!!!!!!! NOT "there" !!!!!!!!!!!!

Got it?!!!!
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote