Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #1

Anything wrong with this?

This picture shows where the front wall meets the bottom of the cabover on my SS 2300C. I would have thought that this would be sealed where the black plastic part can be seen. There is a small gap at the front of that piece where it curves. Is this the way it should be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabover2-1.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	94298  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #2

That is perfectly normal, for something that is absolutely wrong.

Any idea what happened?
Old 11-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #3

Not sure I understand what you mean about being normal for something that's wrong. Nothing happened to it, both sides are the same - delivered to us like that. I didn't notice until today while working on an unrelated project.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
Old 11-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #4

Is that a gap or is there some type of solid blocker there to fill in gap my 3050 has a blocker to fill the gap that's how it should be
Old 11-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
Is that a gap or is there some type of solid blocker there to fill in gap my 3050 has a blocker to fill the gap that's how it should be
There is a black "plastic" piece in there, but it isn't sealed on the leading edge. I can get a finger nail under it.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:42 PM   #6

There is NO WAY that is right, my guess is there should be a spacer between the wall and the white material so that it matches the curve of the doorway.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #7

Yea mine looks smoother and more neat or custom that appears to be very sloppy compared to mine I would have it repaired looks like a newer Rv from the shine I see
Old 11-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #8

It would be simple enough to seal the area up with some Proflex, but I didn't want to just go ahead and do it until I knew if it should be like it is or it should be sealed.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
Yea mine looks smoother and more neat or custom that appears to be very sloppy compared to mine I would have it repaired looks like a newer Rv from the shine I see
It is brand new, just picked it up a few weeks ago. The Dealer is far away so I'll probably end up fixing this myself. It would be great to see a picture of yours if at all possible.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #10

Mine looks that same. Following to see if others look different.

Forester 2451s
Old 11-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #11
MH Noob

Mine looks very similar, perhaps a bit smoother. It is sealed all the way round however
Slimjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #12

Just went out and looked at my 3100SS 2012. Looks the same and sealed with Dicor.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #13

Hi,

Your front bulkhead is loosening. There are screws that hold the bulkhead to the frame. It is more decoration than structural, but not to be ignored. You may have jumped a curb or hit a large chuck hole. To repair, take off the rubber strips that cover the molding on the outside edge of the bulkhead. You will see screws where the rubber strips where. Some should be lose and others missing. They are self taping about a quarter inch long. They should attach to an aluminum frame. Get half inch screws one size larger and replace all the existing screws on all four sides. You may find it necessary to add more screws near or at curves. It is OK to add more screws. If your rig is new, this repair is under warranty. If you are not handy, have an RV shop do the work. Make sure and reseal all molding.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
Love My Sunseeker

I've got the same problem. Both sides. Just wait until it's 90 degrees, then you can stretch those things out and shove them back in. Well, when it gets cold, they will shrink again. I am just leaving them as is....

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bird View Post
Hi,

Your front bulkhead is loosening. There are screws that hold the bulkhead to the frame. It is more decoration than structural, but not to be ignored. You may have jumped a curb or hit a large chuck hole. To repair, take off the rubber strips that cover the molding on the outside edge of the bulkhead. You will see screws where the rubber strips where. Some should be lose and others missing. They are self taping about a quarter inch long. They should attach to an aluminum frame. Get half inch screws one size larger and replace all the existing screws on all four sides. You may find it necessary to add more screws near or at curves. It is OK to add more screws. If your rig is new, this repair is under warranty. If you are not handy, have an RV shop do the work. Make sure and reseal all molding.
Thanks for the reply, but I need a little more explanation. I don't understand how this could indicate a loosening bulkhead. Nothing has moved, nothing seems to be out of place. The only thing that puzzle me is why this isn't sealed all the way around.

Old 11-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #16

If the sealant is missing, then put some around it. Nothing wrong with your bulkhead!
Old 11-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #17

On my Sunseeker there is a hard piece of black plastic there but, there are not gaps and appears to be weather tight.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
If the sealant is missing, then put some around it. Nothing wrong with your bulkhead!
Thanks, I agree with you and that's just what I' going to do. I think the factory just forgot to finish sealing it. Overall I'm pretty happy with the construction of the rig. I guess there will always be a few things that need correcting on a new RV.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #19

I like ours a lot to the tune of 50000 miles so far. Only had it since Feb. of 12.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:43 PM   #20

My SS 2860DS had the same problem. Local dealer say's that the rubber trim piece is stretched tightly into the channel and pulls away as time goes by. FR allowed for replacement trim under warranty. Done 3 months ago and holding up well so far.
Harold Fay is offline   Reply With Quote