Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

automatic stepdown

I just bought a 2007 forest river sunseeker 2860. After shutting down the generator I noticed that the stepdown remained out. I thought the step would retract when I started the RV up once again but it remains out even when I begin to drive. Can any one help me with this problem ?
ckbjcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #2

I have a 2013 georgetown xl 378 and sometimes the steps stay out after shutting the door. Sometimes it retracts as soon as the door is shut and then other times it take almost a minute to start retracting. Don't know why the delay sometimes. This happens when the engine is off or running. I can't figure it out. Don't know when it will happen. I thought it just might be some kind of safety delay.
Have you tried seeing what happens if you wait at least a minute?
Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #3

Yes I have tried several ways to see if I can get it to retract. I called camping world and they said they will try and get back as soon as they can. I guess I'm just a little impatient. The other thing is I did not get a manual with the RV. I appreciate your help!
ckbjcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I have a 2013 georgetown xl 378 and sometimes the steps stay out after shutting the door. Sometimes it retracts as soon as the door is shut and then other times it take almost a minute to start retracting. Don't know why the delay sometimes. This happens when the engine is off or running. I can't figure it out. Don't know when it will happen. I thought it just might be some kind of safety delay.
Have you tried seeing what happens if you wait at least a minute?
Wrapperman, I have the same problem with my steps. After fueling, I always have to wait until I hear them close before moving. Like you it is random and with random delay times. Most aggravating. Have not found a solution nor a cause. Dealer is totally useless.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #5

The only time I have had this issue is when my batteries took a dump on me. There would be enough juice left to open the step but not enough to close them. I had to start the RV and wait a minute until the alternator put enough charge in the batteries to retract the step.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Graduate Member

I'm thinking Motocrosscamper is correct. Have you checked the water level in your batteries?

Also, check the rocker switch next to your outside light switch. It's supposed to lock the steps up or down. I'm not sure how it works as we never use it, but that's what the dude said on the walkthru.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #7

My batteries are full. It acts this way whether hooked up to shore power, engine running or not. Sometimes it would retract when we shut the door a little harder so I checked whether the magnetic switch was properly aligned other times we just shut the door and wait a minute. Very strange.