Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #1

Awning LED strip failure Again

We bought our Sunseeker in the spring of 2013. During our 2013 Summer Rd. trip the LED strip underneath the awning failed where only the first section would light up. When we return from our trip the dealer replaced the LED strip under warranty.

During this summer's RV trip the LED strip failed again! I contacted the dealer, and they are telling me that there is no warranty for these lights, or maybe if there was, it was only 90 days and wouldn't cover the labor and installation.

The dealer is proposing that perhaps they can go to the awning manufacturer to try to get warrantee replacement, but I'm a little frustrated at the situation.

Does anybody have experience replacing this LED light strip? Is it something that's easy to do? It looks like maybe it just slides into a track in the underside of the awning, but I don't know about the wiring.

Also, if I'm going to have to pay to have this replaced, maybe I should be looking at something better. Any suggestions?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410200122.396712.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	553.0 KB
ID:	62397

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
wplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know about the factory ones, but the cheap chinese ones I aftermarketed onto my TT do that alot. In my case it's the TT flexing down the road that's causing the cheap solder connections to break. I cut away some of the silicon cover, resolder the 4 joints at that point, and then reapply some silicon. I figure over time I'll eventually have to do all 20 or so joints, (about 1 per foot) but I'm gonna wait till they fail before doing so. So far, I'm up to 3.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #3

I have the same problem with mine right now. Me dealer is ordering a replacement. If you push up at the end of the lighted section, all of my lights will go on and may stay on for a short while. I must be a loose connection between different sections of LEDs.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #4

Interesting replies. Thank you!

I find it interesting that it is fixable with solder. Is the strip easy to remove and reattach?

wplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wplate View Post
Interesting replies. Thank you!

I find it interesting that it is fixable with solder. Is the strip easy to remove and reattach?

Somebody with a sunseeker will have to answer that. Mine are stuck on using 3M Automotive mounting tape (they ain't never coming off). So, I just solder them in place. The Sunseeker's probably have a different arrangement.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #6

My led strips are acting up also and they are suppose to be ordering me new strips under warranty. Probably same issue, strips are flexing with unit while traveling causing loose connections in the strips.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #7

If it was installed by the factory and the unit is still under warranty the light will be covered. I would contact FR and check into it. Sounds like the dealer is just passing the buck.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #8

Mine have failed twice and both times replaced under warranty. Its a design problem with the light - the silicone embedding the LEDs sit in separates allowing moisture to enter and corrode the copper conductor.
The flat pin plug is standard on these style lights and I've seen other brands of this type of LED at the home centers or you could go with that famous auction site. Just make certain they are rated for 12 volt so you can direct plug-in.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #9

I received a brand new xlr toy hauler that was exactly like that. Just lit above the door. I just ordered a new strip on ebay and replaced it. Have had no problems. The old one should just pull out from a plastic strip and slowly work the new one in from the electrical tie in back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SOONERSALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #10

Ebay is your friend. Had mine for two years and no problems. You will spend more money in the first 5 minutes of.towing your TT yo the dealer than a cost of two of these off ebay
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #11

I totally agree w the fact the dealer will prob put the same brand on that failed the first time, and find urself in the same place again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SOONERSALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
RV Nomad

Same exact problem with my Sunseeker. I was able to get a new strip under warranty and replaced it myself. The first strip went out after 4 months of ownership, now replacement went out partially after 6 months. It does not slide in or out of the track, you have to peel it out, and push the new one in little by little, snapping it into place. Connections need to be soldered and heat shrink wrapped.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #13

I agree with Kuba eBay is your friend. I have a 2013 3010 DS. Looked at the normal RV sites and they wanted over $100. Searched for waterproof LEDs and bought the same thing for less than $30. I attached them to the the awning roll and no problems.
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led