Old 01-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #1

Awning Motor Issue

The main awning motor went out. I guess. As I was bringing it in and it reached it's all the way in limit, it seemed like it didn't turn off like it should have and then died. Is there a limit switch that should have turned the power off to the motor but didn't or is it possible that the relay stuck in the on position? So now I guess I need to replace the awning motor? Can I do it myself or is this something that the shop will need to do at anywhere from $350 to $600?

humblegoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #2

The awning switch is what controls the awning in and out. No relays or limit switch. The awning switch just switches polarity. I have had my switch hang up in the retract position, it's not an expensive switch. My awning fuse is connected directly to the coach battery. You might check for a blown fuse. I see you posted that you checked the awning relay and if your awning is relay controlled then this post is a moot issue and disregard.

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

What kind of awning do you have? I replaced a Dometic 9100 awning myself and I'm not the handiest tool in the garden. There was 1 minor piece of 12v wiring that a buddy helped with but in hindsight, I'm sure I could have done.

For me, the motors came in either white or black. I couldn't find a white motor locally so I bought the black one and just switched the attached body pieces between the two.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #4

I have the Dometic awning. Black. I think I can do this with the help of the forum members and the tips and trick and pictures that have been posted here and on youtube. Do you recall what you paid for the awning motor and did you figure out why it died in the first place so that it wouldn't cause your new replacement motor to fail as well?
humblegoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblegoe View Post
I have the Dometic awning. Black. I think I can do this with the help of the forum members and the tips and trick and pictures that have been posted here and on youtube. Do you recall what you paid for the awning motor and did you figure out why it died in the first place so that it wouldn't cause your new replacement motor to fail as well?

It was something like $400 for the motor, though I could find them online for $300. We were traveling and at a place that didnít allow packages to be received. It was easier to just pay the extra than to try and figure out shipping.

As for why it died... I didnít explore it. I fulltime so it sees a lot of extra use. When it died, it was while I was ratcheting my awning poles tight.

It continued to work thru when I traded that rig 9 months later.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:46 AM   #6

More then likely your switch stuck on. Had the same thing happen to mine. Replaced motor and switch. All good for the past 6 years.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
More then likely your switch stuck on. Had the same thing happen to mine. Replaced motor and switch. All good for the past 6 years.
Just for future reference. The Dometic awning on the Sunseeker is relay controlled?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #8

Not that I know of. Only switch, fuse , wiring and motor. Didn't find a relay. Switch is just like a power window switch, up/down no relay. Only use relays on heavy draw items where all that amperage would damage the switch. Awning motor is no stronger then a window motor just like some of the power steps.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Not that I know of. Only switch, fuse , wiring and motor. Didn't find a relay. Switch is just like a power window switch, up/down no relay. Only use relays on heavy draw items where all that amperage would damage the switch. Awning motor is no stronger then a window motor just like some of the power steps.
The reason I asked is humblegoe indicated he checked the awning relay and am not familiar with any Dometic awning installation that includes relays. Thought the Sunseeker had done something different. Thank you.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #10
Usually Confused Member

Surprise...Walmart has the part.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dometic-A...lack/666560039

When did Sunseeker change to Dometic awnings? The ones I looked at a while back had the LCI Solera awnings. The motor for those is less than $50.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning