Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

Backup Camera

As anyone experienced the rear camera activating to backup mode when brakes are a applied? Does anyone know what activates the backup mode? I have a 2014 3170DS. thanks
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #2

Was the backup camera added by your dealer? If it was, they might have hooked up the power wire to your brake light wiring instead of the backup light wire.
Dlrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlrens View Post
Was the backup camera added by your dealer? If it was, they might have hooked up the power wire to your brake light wiring instead of the backup light wire.
The camera is a factory install. It has worked perfectly for 7 months, Just this one outing. If I knew what activated backup mode on the camera, I may be able to check for a loose connection.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #4

We have a georgetown xl378. I have been using the emergency flashers to turn on the backup camera. It works but I don't like to run the flashers while going down the highway. I did look on the Internet for the model of our backup camera module by the model number. It shows to have an input plug that when it receives 12 volt it activates the backup camera. I plan on installing a momentary switch that I can push to turn it on. My module is located behind the center console and easy to get to.
Just a thought
If you like I can take a picture of the module and send it to you
Also the manual came with our unit.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
As anyone experienced the rear camera activating to backup mode when brakes are a applied? Does anyone know what activates the backup mode? I have a 2014 3170DS. thanks
Shifting into reverse (with ignition on) activates the camera with sound. Or you can just turn the monitor on (with ignition on) and see the picture without sound all the time. During daylight hours I have mine on all the time. At night it is distracting so I usually turn it off, but have the little remote handy (stuck to dash with Velcro) so I can turn on occasionally to see that bike rack is OK.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
Shifting into reverse (with ignition on) activates the camera with sound. Or you can just turn the monitor on (with ignition on) and see the picture without sound all the time. During daylight hours I have mine on all the time. At night it is distracting so I usually turn it off, but have the little remote handy (stuck to dash with Velcro) so I can turn on occasionally to see that bike rack is OK.
I understand. On the last trip, cruising down the highway, I apply the brake , the camera would switch to backup mode, with sound and the range markers. Tapped the brake pedal and it went off.. On the next stop had DW to check the brake lights making sure that the backup lights were not coming on. Thought the backup lights may be sending the camera into backup mode. All lights were operating properly.
If I knew what placed the camera in backup mode. Backup lights, reverse switch, something else? Now, I am treating it as a fluke and will keep an eye on it.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #7

The control box is under the dash (mine is roughly above the steering column). There are several wires. I have not traced them to see what each connects to. Maybe someone has a wiring diagram.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #8

If you have the RVS System - the blue wire on the video multiplexer goes to the reverse wire (chassis wire). The multiplexer unit is in the knee panel that wraps under the steering wheel. The panel just snaps in. Check the wire splices in there. It gets a little cramped.
The RVS manual attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rearview Camera System.pdf (1.17 MB, 2013 views)
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #9

We have back up camera problems too, though different than experienced in this thread. Both the back up camera and the forward overhead centerline light (both bulbs) went out. All fuses checked good. 13 2690SF
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #10

RvBill3,

Can you trow me a pic of the back up camera remote. i did not know of this for the 23u...
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #11

I will when I can. MH is a mile away in a storage yard and we are in the middle of a sleet/ice/snow storm.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1394478038.568841.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	47484

Finally had a chance to take a photo of the rear camera monitor remote control. Included an ink pen so you can judge size.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #13

Thanks!
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

I have a 2013 SunSeeker 3170ds and have been trying to locate the multiplexer based on the info in this thread. I must be thick or missing something as I cannot locate it at all. I would like to add additional cameras in the open spots but I hate to order things until I can find where I'll need to get to with wiring, etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Ninja Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:41 AM   #15

It is a silver box located somewhere under the dash near the steering column. On a Ford there may be a cover that has to be removed from the under dash panel. It's just tucked up there so the location can vary a little from one MH to another. Usually somewhere above the steering column. There are two bigger cables (camera in, monitor out) and a bundle of other wires (power, ground, backup light circuit, etc.) that come out of it.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy