Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #1

Backup camera no signal

Hi. Hoping someone in here has had some experience diagnosing a backup camera problem.

I have a 2015 2700DS Sunseeker MH.

When we pulled it out of storage last weekend and I'm getting a 'no signal' message on the screen for the backup camera. Side mirror cameras work fine.

The battery was disconnected while in storage this year. (Not my idea, the guy that stores it for us disconnected it.)

I checked the two in-line fuses that go to the silver control module under the dash. All good.

There are no instruction books with the system. I don't see a name anywhere to even search for more info on-line.

I don't know where to go from here to begin diagnostics. Any suggestions or experience are welcome.

Thanks..
jst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #2

See if you can search a thread I started last year on this and lots of good info can be had
In my case the camera was Failed
Big problem because the way they wired my 2014 the whole back cap had to be lifted to get to the pigtail
My Mechanic rewired so the pig is now behind one of my amber marker lights so it it fails again it's a quick easy fix but the first one cost me $850
It may be your multiplexor (the brains of the system under the dash)
Blue screen?
Mine was a White Screen and the iris of the camera was the Fail
Good luck with it
I hope it's a simple fix for you
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #3

Mine failed but I don't know the cause. The repair center had to put in a new monitor/screen. I have the camera monitor in place where the rear view mirror usually goes on the windshield. That is the unit that was replaced.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst3 View Post
Hi. Hoping someone in here has had some experience diagnosing a backup camera problem.

I have a 2015 2700DS Sunseeker MH.

When we pulled it out of storage last weekend and I'm getting a 'no signal' message on the screen for the backup camera. Side mirror cameras work fine.

The battery was disconnected while in storage this year. (Not my idea, the guy that stores it for us disconnected it.)

I checked the two in-line fuses that go to the silver control module under the dash. All good.

There are no instruction books with the system. I don't see a name anywhere to even search for more info on-line.

I don't know where to go from here to begin diagnostics. Any suggestions or experience are welcome.

Thanks..
Had the exact same problem, side camera's working no backup with error message. Worked directly with Infotainment, very helpful, ended up sending us another dash unit. Paid $100 bucks to have a professional install it.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #5

If you have a Sunseeker, you most likely have a Rear View Safety camera system. They have an extremely helpful support staff and have been helpful in each of my calls to them. If you have a camera that looks like the attached picture, it is an RV Safety. There phone number is 800-764-1028. They are located in California so you have to adjust your call the time zone.Click image for larger version

Name:	P8122988.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	135971
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #6

Running Lights

Be sure your running lights are on and working
Fiddler Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #7

I knew you guys would come through!

This is the unit I have.

https://www.rearviewsafety.ca/rvs-77...r-monitor.html

All lights are working - including reverse lights.
I get the blue screen with the error message.

Now I have something to work with. I'll do some research and make a call this week.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2017, 03:08 PM   #8

Didn't get a chance to call yet but was able to do some diagnostics on my own today. I was able to isolate the problem it to the camera. If I plug one of the side cameras into the backup camera port - it works.

I unscrewed the camera from the back of the MH only to find the cable runs into a cavity behind it. There is no slack on the cable at all and no plug or socket to unplug the camera so it can be replaced.

Now you would think FR would design and purchase a backup camera system that provides a provision to replace the camera without taking half of it apart. It's not like these things aren't prone to failure.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #9

Like I said above
That whole back cap is going to have to be lifted
I wasn't happy about it either
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
Old 06-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #10

Did you ever get the camera replaced and Did the cap have to be lifted?
Just curious
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
Old 06-02-2017, 07:31 AM   #11

Is it paired successfully?

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #12

I ended up replacing a section of cable between the controller and the camera. I spliced in a length of 5 wire shielded cable that I picked up from a local electronics store and it worked.

The cable from the controller to the rear camera looks like it goes out of the cab behind the driver's seat, along the frame rail than re-enters the coach around the water heater area. That section of cable was bad. I have all cable running inside the coach right now. You can see it in a few places but the cable I bought doesn't have enough protection to run outside.

It took me an entire weekend to diagnose this and it was not fun. There has to be a better way!
Old 07-04-2017, 01:43 PM   #13

I have a 2015 Forester with what looks like the same back up camera system. I'm now getting an intermittent "no signal" on a blue screen with the left side camera. Other side and rear work fine, and my problem is intermittent- suddenly starts working again. I suspect possibly just a loose connector but am unfamiliar with the location of the components. Where EXACTLY "under the dash" is the main control box and what does it look like? Any other easynthingsnfor me to check? Thanks.
Russmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:18 PM   #14

The control box in mine is under the dash on the driver's side. Basically right under the steering wheel. You can remove the plastic trim piece below the steering wheel and it will expose all the wiring. The ODBII port may be attached to the trim piece when you remove it.
The controller is a silver box with what looks like coax cable running to it.

The wiring for the side cameras is a mess on mine. I don't doubt I'll have the same problem as you some day after seeing how it's wired. My controller fell out and was hanging by the wires when I removed the trim. The installer just tucked it up under the dash without securing it to anything. Zip ties are expensive you know! Good luck.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:12 PM   #15

Passenger side camera did the same thing until it died altogether one month past the end of the warranty. I replaced it with a new one from RVS. Well yesterday, again just past the one year warranty, the passenger side camera died again - no signal. I already replaced the rear camera, as the it function died - no night vision. The rig is only two years old.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote