Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #1

Bad Dometic thermostat or Bad control board

Trying to figure out if i have a bad thermostat or a bad control board?
Dometic single zone digital thermostat.
2104 3010DSF
Went out this past weekend and went to use the frunace, It came right on and ran to the set temp on the stat.
Waited a while and it never came back on, tried raising the temp on the stat and nothing,
Shut the stat off and turned it back on a bit later and it can back on ran to tem and shut dowm, Again it would not come back on, Turned the stat off again and back on a few minutes later , furnace came on and ran to temp and shut down.
Same thing had to turn stat off and then it would come back on. Got tire of doing this and figure i would mess with it in the morning.
Turned the stat off and back on but it would not turn on.
Check all the connections and found nothing, still would not come on. Went to bed that night i the DW wanted to try it again and it did come on , ran to temp and shut down, But would nit come back on,
So i went to sleep and got up some hours later and turned the stat off and then back on, Furnace came on and ran the rest of the night as normal, but it shut down early in the morning and would not come back on. waited and hour of so cycled the stat and it came back on and ran to temp , but would not come back on even after turning the stat off and on again. There has been no error codes.
Has any body had any problem similar to this.
Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #2

I'm having a very similar issue but mine won't run a complete heat cycle. I believe my issue is with the propane regulator. Making an adjustment to the regulator did allow my furnace to run through the complete cycle but I am replacing the regulator anyway since now I don't trust it
jandysuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
Site Team

Which thermostat do you have?

If it's the single zone digital model, you may want to try initializing it to see if that fixes the problem.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #4

Yes i do have the digital single zone stat. Not sure what you mean by initializing ?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
Site Team

There are instructions for initializing the thermostat in the manual. On page 12 I believe, but don't hold me to the page number. If you can't find the manual, let us know and we'll provide a link to it.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:37 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Bama is right... there have been several reports here of your exact symptom and initializing the 'stat was the fix. I would certainly try that first.

Here is a good link to the 'stat...
Dometic Digital Thermostat

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #7

While my Dometic controller is a dual zone, I think, if you try the initialize steps and do not get satisfactory results that last longer, you might find the circuit board on the heater itself is starting to fail. Your symptoms are exactly as mine had last year. I ended up buying a new circuit board and wiring my heater with its own analog heat controller to isolate the heater from the Dometic controller. Have not had any problems since.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:24 AM   #8

I have re-initalized the stat, going out this weekend and we will see if that cures the problem. Lets hope as its going in the low 30,s here in sunny Florida.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:29 PM   #9

Well that did not fix the problem,
It has a mind of its own, It finally gave up working all together on saturday nigh, it dropped down to 37 deg, Just had to throw some more covers on and wait till 6:00am when quiet time was over to fire the generator and get the heat pump and space heater going. Returned home on Sunday morning and dang if it did not come back on but quit a short time later. Going to pull the board and take it to be checked and move on from there. Might also be the time delay ?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #10

Furnace repaired. Found that in fact it was the circuite board that was the problem.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #11

I had the same problems with my brand new Dometic thermostat in my brand new 2018 Sunseeker 2500TS. The dealer service tech said that it was normal operation for a touch type unit. Seriously? Changing its temperature setting randomly all by itself? Never coming back on in the middle of the night when the temperature drops. Yeah, real normal.

Had to wait a month and a half for another service appointment. The new service writer who knows her stuff said that thing is junk and asked if I minded if they replaced it with a new white one they had in stock. Mine was black. I told her I wouldn't care what color it was as long as it worked.

It has worked just like a real thermostat is supposed to ever since. I do think they're a pretty cheesy design though.

Sometimes you just have to keep trying until you get the right service writer and tech.

Never did get a response from Forest River on this, or on anything else for that matter.
outflyin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, thermostat