Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #1

Question Bad smell in bedroom, not bathroom

Posted this on another forum, but only got one reply and we still need some help, please:
Have limited Internet access so will make it quick. Have 2013 Sunseeker 3170. Been camping for a week. Past three nights, getting horrible smell in bedroom. No bad smell in bathroom itself. Smells whether using bathroom fan or not. Much worse after someone flushes the toilet.
Can't find a leak. We are not on even ground. Never had this before but only weekend trips before. Help?
--DW
Old 07-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #2

A few thoughts, I use to have same model: are you leaving your grey tanks open, do you have a high speed vent fan in the bedroom, and have you checked the vacuum break under the sink and tunnel between the bedroom and bathroom?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm not a guru, but this sounds like a vent issue, most campers have one roof vent for plumbing, along with a "pop off" or a vent under sinks, looks like... Ah...hard to describe, maybe a black steam whistle ? Any way I would check the roof vent, if it is clogged, or otherwise obstruct , it may cause the venting to take place in camper, which by the way if it is from black tank, probably contains some methane,and may be dangerous !
Just an opinion, don't freak out ! The roof vent is where I would start.
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
A few thoughts, I use to have same model: are you leaving your grey tanks open, do you have a high speed vent fan in the bedroom, and have you checked the vacuum break under the sink and tunnel between the bedroom and bathroom?
Thanks for the replies.
Don't know what you mean about leaving grey tank open
No fan in bedroom; just the max air cover, which we are leaving open.
Don't know what a vacuum break is no where it may be.
And what's the tunnel you speak of?
This unit is new to us, so have little knowledge/experience, plus limited Internet so can't do much online searching.
Thanks
Old 07-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #5

This is what I've tried so far:
Not hooked up to sewer. The valve is closed.
Filled all sinks with some water, plus the tub and let drain.
Found the vent piece under the bathroom sink. I took it off and put it back on. Can't tell if there's anything wrong with it but p-ew, it certainly reproduced the bedroom smell in the bathroom.
Edited to note that we know not to have the fan in the bathroom running when we flush. And that should I find the vent on the roof, I won't know how to check it to see if it's obstructed. That said, I'm doing it shortly.
Anything else? We are keeping the bedroom window open for now. But when I did that last night, we got swarmed by a ton of flying bugs that somehow got in. That was fun.
Keep your ideas coming, please!
--DW
Old 07-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #6

Keeping your grey tank valve open to your sewer line is a common practice among RVers but can produce the sewer gas return your smelling. The tunnel is under your bathroom vanity, it's a wire and plumbing run open from your bathroom all the way to the right side of your bed and under your bed - it could be the route the your odor is traveling. If the vacuum breaker under your sink doesn't smell when your nose is at it while using your kitchen sink or bathroom sink then its not the issue. Just to note, your roof stack vents are right near your bathroom and bedroom fresh air roof vents.

Have you used the black tank flusher to truly clean your tank? Also, in heat your grey tank can have food residue and smell as bad or worse! They sell citric based grey tank cleaners and deodorizers.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #7

I am truly disappointed! Not one of you gave this poor man any grief! My first thought was that he may have consumed a methane producing meal prior to turning in for the night! Ok, I'll be the SA!
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Grey tank drains have p traps to stop odors from escaping. I would suspect that maybe the roof vent pipe may have fallen down in the tank preventing it to vent properly. Take the vent cap off, get a tape measure and measure down the pipe to the bottom of the tank and then hook the tank end of the pipe and read the difference. If it is less than 2"-3" your pipe needs to be raised.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #9

Are you using chemicals in the tanks to control order??
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #10

With my 3170 had a bad smell one time. The deodorizing chemical had been in a while and had lost their effectiveness. Went camping and in an inclosed camper ( air conditioning running) took a shower with the vent fan running. Nature called and upon flushing, WOW. Added more chemical, and yes, I flush tanks thoroughly. DW was in bed room and wanted to know who died. Only time that is happened. Apparently, the 3170 is tight and the fan just pulled air from the vent stack, into the black tank and into the coach.
Just relaying an experience with my 3170. Hope this helps.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

Just a thought.
I too had an odor problem in the bedroom. Our p-trap for the washer did not have water in it. Filled it up and no more odor.
Or it could be the vent relief cap could be defective. It is a device that lets air in but not out. If the rubber flap is warped or torn it will not make a good seal.
The rubber flap is inside the cap.
Good luck.
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #12

Home now. Odor went away as soon as we dumped. So, since unit is new will try together replacement caps/vents under warranty sand try not to go 10 days between, we'll, dumps.
And, yes, we had added our typical chemicals, then added more when the smell started.
Also curious whether not being level somehow contributed to the problem. Thoughts?
Thanks again!
--DW
Old 07-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Do I understand that the odor started a number of days of use? I'm wondering if the vent line extends too far into the black tank and then not venting when the level in the tanks seal it.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Here's my take.

If the bedroom vent is open and you turn on power vent in bathroom the air has to suck from somewhere.
So if vent stack is close to bedroom vent it could be bringing fumes in there.
Even without power vent on and bedroom vent open theoretically when you open outside door fumes can be drawn in from bedroom vent.
All this goes out the "window" if stack is not close to the bedroom window of course.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Do I understand that the odor started a number of days of use? I'm wondering if the vent line extends too far into the black tank and then not venting when the level in the tanks seal it.

Dave
I agree, I suggested getting on the roof and measuring a few posts back.