Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #1

Bathroom accessories

So I have had my 3170 for a little over a month now, and only taken it out on one quick over night trip. I pulled it out today to step it up for the week long trip we have coming up. During this process I found a toothbrush holder and soap holder for the bathroom. These were never installed. My question is where to install them? On the side of the bathroom cabinet or on the wall? The screws look like the might be too long for that. Do I just look for a stud on the wall? I don't know how the factory builds these things. Is it like a house with studs evenly placed? Or do they just put blocking in the walls where they know screws will be used. Yes, this is my first RV.
CoachPJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #2

I wish they hadn't installed ours as our toothbrushes don't fit in and we prefer liquid soap. Having said that - they are installed under the medicine chest above the vanity. I don't know what your bathroom is like but you could try a stud finder and scan your wall. Good luck and congrats on the new trailer.
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #3

Yes beware of screw length. Don't ask me how I found that out with my toilet paper holder.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
Yes beware of screw length. Don't ask me how I found that out with my toilet paper holder.
Almost did the same thing. One would think the screws that came with the items would be correct. But you know what they say about assume! Still haven't put the toilet paper holder up
Fl-diamond8312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Denver, CO

I use the REALLY short moly's that you can get at HD Ace or Lowes for panelling and these work well, but you had better make sure you get the location right cause they are not coming out.. A little overkill for a toothpaste holder but a 1/8 in piece of paneling isn't much for a screw to hold onto.

IMO
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Commercial Member

We used to install them...everyone thought the location was stupid. Now we're always asked "why aren't these installed". So just to clarify, we gave up. All our locations were stupid and I, like many, use liquid soap and a power toothbrush. So only install them if you need them.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #7

Ours were installed and I wished they were not. Because we bought new ones since the ones they gave us were very cheap. You would think for probably an extra $10 or $20 a trailer they can give more higher quality hardware
Old 02-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We used to install them...everyone thought the location was stupid. Now we're always asked "why aren't these installed". So just to clarify, we gave up. All our locations were stupid and I, like many, use liquid soap and a power toothbrush. So only install them if you need them.
Heh. You're danged if you do and danged if you don't.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
Plain Old Member

I was impressed by the idea of leaving it to the consumer to install. I fussed about where the last one was mounted in the Tiffin. I only mounted the TP holder in the new one, but didn't use the supplied screws. As for the toothbrush holder, went to Lowes and found a nice matching one just for toothbrushes. We use the liquid soap as well. Now I just need one more towell rack, which I hope to get when we're up in Indiana.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #10

We use a floor stand for the TP and a portable toothbrush holder to put in the medicine cabinet.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #11

I agree with the leave them off school They take up more space in a space limited area than they are worth, and unless you find a stud, likely the screws come through the other side. If they must be mounted, I'd use adhesive
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #12

Thanks for the info, I am ok with let the consumer decide. It makes sense that people will have different options about installing and location.

However, I would still like to know more on the structure of the walls. Are the studs evenly placed? If so what is the distance?
CoachPJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #13
Just Love to Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
We use a floor stand for the TP and a portable toothbrush holder to put in the medicine cabinet.
X2

I like the fact GREATLY that the factory didnt install mine. With kids the TP would just get pulled off the wall or the door and leave holes

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPJG View Post
Thanks for the info, I am ok with let the consumer decide. It makes sense that people will have different options about installing and location.

However, I would still like to know more on the structure of the walls. Are the studs evenly placed? If so what is the distance?
They're spaced as needed. If you have a 24" wall section, we're probably not going to put a stud at 16", but one in the center of the 24" section.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
Always Learning

For the studs, I've read (but not tried it myself) that a standard stud finder can be used to find them.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Possibly, you're dealing with wood paneling, but then again a digital stud finder has to deal with 1/2" sheetrock in most cases as well.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #17

Just a thought, why don't they ship the unit with the accessories unattatched. During PDI ask the purchaser where they want them installed. What could it take, 5-10 minutes for a service tech to install them?
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Everyone is free to ask their dealer that.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #19

I would agree with the company. I was very glad that we found them in a drawer. I have our own that match my decorating style. You just can't please everyone, so the decision to leave it up to the new owner, in my opinion, was a great decision.

2012 Sunseeker 3170ds
Toad: 2009 HHR
2009 150cc Scooters
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #20

Couldn't agree more.

They installed ours above the sink. We won't use the soap holder (we use liquid) or the old fashioned tooth brush holder (our brushed have large handles that won't fit and don't want them visible anyway). I want to remove them.

I sent FR a letter asking them to supply some of the border matching what is in the main room so I can cover the holes after removing the hardware.

Still waiting on yes or not from FR. Will update when I know more.
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote