Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #21

Had them both tested today at 2 different shops, with a hydrometer and a hand-held electronic. Both results said bad cells, so replacement coming up. Both these batts were well-stored off the RV last winter, no serious depletion, etc. Maybe the inverter is overcharging, will check that out.
Standup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #22

Perfect time to switch to 6v batteries!

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:58 PM   #23

I was going to replace my two deep cycle 12 volt batteries for two 6 volt. However i have a fifth wheel trailer and the my batteries are located in the front basement. They're recessed in the floor with sealed kids. There are vent indeed added to the lids that vent outside. When the replacement 6 volt batteries were put in they were about 2 inches taller. This would require new boxes to be installed and new v venting because of their location. At a cost of an additional $260 I chose to stay with the 12 volt batteries.

I only mention the challenges I faced because you mentioned that your space was restricted. So consider your space before you make any purchases.

Good luck with your upgrades.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:28 AM   #24

We have a Forester 3171ds that is only 5 months old, ordered from the factory, so it didn't sit on the lot but a week. The batteries are already weak. I put a full charge on both of them recently with a commercial charger and after a 100% charge they start dropping voltage right away. Overnight they will go from 12.5 volts to 11.5 volts. Not good. Anyway to get these changed out under warranty??
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:56 AM   #25

Quote:
We have a Forester 3171ds that is only 5 months old, ordered from the factory, so it didn't sit on the lot but a week. The batteries are already weak. I put a full charge on both of them recently with a commercial charger and after a 100% charge they start dropping voltage right away. Overnight they will go from 12.5 volts to 11.5 volts. Not good. Anyway to get these changed out under warranty??
Do you have a two way fridge? If you do is the switch on that heats the area around the door. If it is on you have a major power draw.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:04 AM   #26

The coach is sitting by the house with the switch off. When I did my battery test it was with the cables disconnected and after a full charge, I could watch the voltage drop immediately after disconnecting the battery charger.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
They should be under your warranty, Should not make any difference, just like anything else. What brand of batteries did they put in the unit? You should also have a manufacture on them also. The First year is bumper to bumper. I would call my dealer....Good Luck. If worst comes to worst call FR and take them in to a business that sells them, they will prorate them, but FR could reimburse you. Hope that helps...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:14 AM   #28

They (the battery manufacturer) gave me a credit of $125 on my batteries in Aug and my coach is a '14 that was delivered in Nov of '13
I would think the dealer or FR will cover these with less than a year
You are going to get all kinds of advice on whats drawing your Batteries down but the bottom line is the Batteries they put in at the Factory are JUNK! They know this and that's why we are getting money back
I put two Interstates in in Aug and everything is working the way it should again
I assumed New Coach new good batteries and when I started having all kinds of problems the trouble shooting this and the checking that and why isn't this working etc etc...
I needed new GOOD Batteries,sounds like you may too
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:24 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
I didn't think to check the level in the batteries until a week after getting my RV, about half the plates were exposed. Topped them off with distilled water, really didn't make a difference. I nursed them along as long as I could, switched to LED lights, only ran the slide if plugged in on on the gen, no dry camping.... Eventually it wouldn't even power the furnace with the gen running. Bit the bullet and got two new ones from Costco. Didn't want the hassle of argueing with the dealer. I guess you never know unless you ask...
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery