Old 09-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #11

if any battery gets drawn down so that it no longer works without a recharge, it will never have the same capacity again

make sure you get the batteries LOAD tested... not the same as just testing the voltage with a meter... LOAD testing reads the ability to maintain 12 VDC while pulling significant amps from the battery... a weak battery will drop voltage fast... this sounds like your situation... put in a disconnect switch or keep the batteries on a smart charger when parked

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #12

When you say they discharge rapidly do you mean when your using the unit not connected to AC camping or when everything is suppose to be turned off and the batteries discharge.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #13

It's when dry camping with no AC hookup, and not especially heavy usage. I'll get them tested tomorrow including load tested, and will get around to updating this. I hear what someone said about dealers letting new RVs sit ignored over-winter.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
clr

It is my understanding that FR does not provide the battery with the RV. The dealer is the one that installs the battery or batteries. That is the main reason that for any given RV model you have so many configurations in connecting the batteries and brand and size differ.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #15

Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standup View Post
'14 Sunseeker 2500TS, bought new a June '14. Battery electrolyte level's good, batteries look ok. Usually they deplete from full charge to a low level, like "1 red dot", in only a couple of hours, with minimal load and no shore power. I know there are many possible reasons but wonder if anyone has seen this on this rig or other FRs, and the solutions found.

This has been an interesting summer. After a tire blowout on the I-5 in rush hour traffic and 103 degree temps. I too discovered my batteries didn't seem to have the reserve power I thought they should. So while she was getting tire damage repaired I asked that the service dept check the batteries.

I learned that although the indicator light may report a fully charged battery and it may indeed be fully charged. The best way to test the health of a battery is by checking the ohms of resistance within the battery when a load is put on the battery. That way you'll know the true health of you charging system .

What I discovered was that my two 12volt batteries were "Toast" This was explained by the fact that the batteries registered 127 ohms of resistance. Tracing the problem kept me from "Toasting" two more batteried. As my multi stage 65 amp Charger/converter had failed to a single stage. Everytime I plugged into power I was feeding those batteries 14.5 volts that never stepped down.

Bottom line $$$ 1 new 65 amp charger converter with inteligence sensor, 2 new 12 volt deep cycle batteries and labor and tax and ... right about $725. (I would have moved to two 6 volt batteries but because of where my batteries are located I would have had to replace battery boxes and venting system and I didn't have the extra $280 for the upgrade.)

All this is to say have someone with the proper equipment test you batteries and charging system to prevent more costly damage or even possible fire to your rig. Good luck.

Tom Stillman
Vancouver, WA
2012 Forest River Wildcat Sterling Edition
2010 Ford F350 Super cab (With all the junk taken off) With H&S tuner and set of bags on the back.
tstillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #16

Question Scrap batteries

Bought Coachman Freelander September of 2014. This machine totally cooked TWO new batteries in about 6 months. Coachman paid for a replacement of number one. About two months later and two early departures from campgrounds, I gave up. Traded unit in. Was asked by RV shop to "please don't bring that thing back here". I am looking for an attorney as we speak. If anyone knows one, please send me a reply. Help!!!
Old 09-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #17
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

2015 Cruise Lite, purchased in 2014. Interstate, deep cycle installed at dealer. Battery stamp is a March 2014 manufacture. Load tested the battery because it reads low after a few hours towing and disconnected from shore power and THE REFRIGERATOR OFF, lights go dim. Exide factory would not sell me a battery because my battery was not bad. Specific gravity good in all cells.Load tested 99%. The only draw, that I would know, would be the LP detector. How can THAT draw that much? Yes, all the lights are turned off. Suggestions? Where do you install a battery switch?

There is power to the battery from my TV while pulling the trailer.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru1 View Post
Bought Coachman Freelander September of 2014. This machine totally cooked TWO new batteries in about 6 months. Coachman paid for a replacement of number one. About two months later and two early departures from campgrounds, I gave up. Traded unit in. Was asked by RV shop to "please don't bring that thing back here". I am looking for an attorney as we speak. If anyone knows one, please send me a reply. Help!!!
Did the RV shop look at the converter not 'stepping down' when the batteries were fully charged to keep from cooking the batteries?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #19

Quote:
'14 Sunseeker 2500TS, bought new a June '14. Battery electrolyte level's good, batteries look ok. Usually they deplete from full charge to a low level, like "1 red dot", in only a couple of hours, with minimal load and no shore power. I know there are many possible reasons but wonder if anyone has seen this on this rig or other FRs, and the solutions found.
For about 20.00 bucks you can buy a load tester for your batteries, will also show you your state at anytime. You hit a toggle switch and it will put a load on them and show you what state they are in check Harbour Freight. I quit pulling batteries out and taking them to Napa.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:31 AM   #20

Quote:
A recent situation, like just this summer. I'll take them out and have them tested next week. I've really tried to baby these things, but overall haven't had good luck with battery longevity. If they're ok, I'll be in over my head, and will have to buy some help.
Or maybe get some guidance here!
Not sure how much your a DIYer, but batteries have been discussed extensively in this forum. If you plan on as much worry free off the grid camping, you need to bone up on battery knowledge. Start by reading this;
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Also, it would be a lot easier to go buy a battery hydrometer, follow simple instructions you can readily find online for about $12 bucks, and have that handy to check the health of your bats from time to time. Be leary of load testers at auto parts stores, that equipment is very sensative and if not calibrated and maintained, can result in false readings. If your bent on that route, go to a battery store.

Remember this, knowledge is king in the world of batteries. But, cash is king also. It's just that I find it easier to accumulate knowledge than cash. Maybe your different.

Tags
battery