Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #1

Battery

Can someone tell me what kind of batteries I need to get to replace old ones.? 2012 Forrest river sun seeker 3120. There are 2 of them
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:09 PM   #2

If the originals lasted 5 years I'd replace them with the same brand/type if you can get them.
People on the forum recommend quality deep cycle batteries designed for RV use and not just regular car batteries.
Search batteries on the forum and see what comes up.
Good luck.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:22 AM   #3

Costco has batteries that are called marine/RV made by interstate. I've seen good reviews . I think your batteries are group 27. I would double check with someone that has your model to make sure.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #4

Nothing beats the lifeline AGM batteries they are top of the line and you pay top of the line price mine were almost 500 each but worth the money. Can't hurt them by discharging too much.
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacostaco View Post
Nothing beats the lifeline AGM batteries they are top of the line and you pay top of the line price mine were almost 500 each but worth the money. Can't hurt them by discharging too much.

How low do you discharge them?
Old 07-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #6

Here's my take:

Batteries are good for so many amp hours. Buy an expensive brand/type and you're gonna need two because you're only supposed to run 'em down 1/2 way. You're also gonna need an amp counter so you can keep track of how you're treating those expensive batteries. It's no wonder you get twice the life out of those batteries 'cause you're using two of them.

I just use a Walmart starting battery with a 3 year replacement and run the thing to death. Like you, I get 6 years out of two batteries (@$110 each), but if mine dies before 3 years I get a free replacement - and no worries about how far to discharge them, no amp counters and no expensive multistage, equalizing chargers.

A guy with a $150,000 rig has the wherewithal and incentive to go with an expensive system he can brag about, but us bottom feeders can get pretty much the same results without spending the big bucks.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:41 AM   #7

Forest River used a pair of unbranded EXIDE size 27 Dual Purpose Marine batteries on my 2016 MBS Sunseeker 2400WS. I am on my second season and still working just fine. They are NOT maintenance free, so you will need to check and add water a couple times a season. Most Home Depot Stores will have the Exide branded battery. Current price is about $75 each.

Hope this helps
Sunseeker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:10 AM   #8

"I just use a Walmart starting battery with a 3 year replacement and run the thing to death."

Beware , Wallmart uses their computers to see batt returns.

The best house battery is a genuine deep cycle battery like a "golf cart" batt.

A pair of 6v will have more capacity than a pair of 12V.

A real deep cycle batt will work better , longer than a "marine " batt that is only 1/2 way to a deep cycle batt. But the "marine" is betterv than a start, and will last longer.

For folks that boondock and need to rely on the battery a SOC (state of charge) is like a gas gauge and will alert you to the 50% discharge point .
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacostaco View Post
Not so. They can be discharged more, but there is a limit.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #10
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Costco has batteries that are called marine/RV made by interstate. I've seen good reviews . I think your batteries are group 27. I would double check with someone that has your model to make sure.
Anything Interstate Batteries makes has my recommendation. I've used Interstate batteries for 20+ years and always been happy with their performance and longevity. As a side note, they're one of the most honest and reputable firms in America (IMHO).

As mentioned elsewhere, make sure they are deep cycle/RV/Marine batteries.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
Here's my take:

Batteries are good for so many amp hours. Buy an expensive brand/type and you're gonna need two because you're only supposed to run 'em down 1/2 way. You're also gonna need an amp counter so you can keep track of how you're treating those expensive batteries. It's no wonder you get twice the life out of those batteries 'cause you're using two of them.

I just use a Walmart starting battery with a 3 year replacement and run the thing to death. Like you, I get 6 years out of two batteries (@$110 each), but if mine dies before 3 years I get a free replacement - and no worries about how far to discharge them, no amp counters and no expensive multistage, equalizing chargers.

A guy with a $150,000 rig has the wherewithal and incentive to go with an expensive system he can brag about, but us bottom feeders can get pretty much the same results without spending the big bucks.
LOVE IT !!!
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery