Old 02-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #1

Battery Booster

Checked on my motor home today and found the chassis battery was dead. Not uncommon after sitting for a while. Coach batteries are fine so I tried to start it with the Battery Boost switch. Nothing. This is the second time I have tried to use it with no luck. Is there a fuse for it that might be blown or some other trick?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 02-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #2

These is a fuse for the battery connect relay controller in the battery control center, which is probably beside your steps. If the fuse is okay but you can't get the emergency start to work you could hot wire it.

I don't see with my cell phone app your year model. FR has changed the BCC since ours was built as a 2011 model, but yours may be similar. If you have enough charge in your coach batteries, unplug the connector from the black Intellectec BIRD and run a jumper from the Coach Battery terminal on the panel to the relay terminal with the red wire. You could get someone to do this while you start the engine, or vice versa. You should hear the relay click when you touch the wire to the terminal.

Maybe you could just run a jumper cable from the coach batteries' positive terminal to the chassis battery. You only need the positive cable. They are already grounded together.

Another way is to jump on the back side of the battery control center. Get underneath and look behind the BCC. You'll see some red cables. One is on a terminal marked "Chassis Battery" and one is marked "Coach Battery". Jump across them. Wear face protection- you may get a spark.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. The coach is a 2012 and the chassis is 2011.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:53 AM   #4

You probably have the same battery control center that's in our 2011 Sunseeker. If so, I suggest that you go to the forum's library and look under Power and Electrical for the Intellitec Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay (BIRD) download. It gives a description of how the system works. Class C coaches do not have the two battery disconnect relays that they show, and just happen to sell. The Class C coaches use a manual disconnect switch. There is no disconnect for the chassis battery.

Here's a link to the Intellitec data sheet. If it doesn't work, just go to the forum library.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Intellitec BIRD Datasheet 00-01000-000.pdf
Old 02-16-2015, 07:08 AM   #5

Just thought of something else. I found the wires to the emergency start switch on the seat were not connected to the switch. Don't know if that was from the factory or if I did it while cleaning under the seat.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:13 AM   #6

Thanks. Will look at all of this.

Tags
battery