Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #1

Battery Charging Issue

Is there a single component that could account for not being able to recharge the coach batteries from converter, generator, or engine? I have replaced the coach batteries but get only three of the four battery indicator lights. Sometimes only two (1/3 charge) when interior lights are on.
I think my converter is past its useful life, but thought using the generator would bring the battery back to full charge.
I am going to more carefully check the ground wires from the batteries, but was wondering if there was a switch-type component that could leave the batteries detached from the charging devices. Obviously, the battery disconnect switch is set to "on".

Old 05-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
GM

Potentially. I think there is a relay in the BCC (step well area). BIM maybe? that controls which charge line gets put through.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:36 PM   #3

Battery Charging Issue

Upon further testing, I measured just over 12 volts on the batteries alone, and did get 13.5 volts from the converter, having disconnected the battery. I tried to scrape the battery cables to clean them, but when reconnected there was still just over 12 volts.
Can the converter show proper voltage when disconnected, but drop 1.5 volts when connected and under load?
Does the control panel simply measure voltage? If so, what voltage is needed for all four lights?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #4

battery voltage

The converter disconnected will show 13.5-ish volts it has no load. Connected to fully charged batteries it will show almost the same. Connected to low batteries, it will be pulled down to somewhere above the battery voltage, gradually increasing as the battery approaches full charge. If yours doesn't come up, the likely villain is a bad battery. One bad apple can spoil the bunch. Charge the batteries with a battery charger disconnected from each other, let them set a day, and likely the bad actor will show with low voltage. Good luck
Old 05-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #5

What will happen to a converter as it goes bad? Could it show a 13.5 volt disconnected but a reduced voltage when batteries are connected. My WFCO converter is 3/1/2 years old. This oem brand seems to be bad mouthed a lot on this forum.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegood View Post
What will happen to a converter as it goes bad? Could it show a 13.5 volt disconnected but a reduced voltage when batteries are connected. My WFCO converter is 3/1/2 years old. This oem brand seems to be bad mouthed a lot on this forum.
Our WFCO is 4 1/2 and purrs like a kitten.

You might have a high resistance connection at one of your current limiters,

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wfco has a great diagnostic flow chart on there Web site.
All you'll need is a Phillips screw driver and a multi-meter.

Wfco uses cheap cooling fans that go out unannounced and unnoticed till lights start dimming then going brite.
By then it's to late.

If it's bad I recommend progressive dynamics. Period.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #8

[QUOTE=f1100turbo;623355]Wfco has a great diagnostic flow chart on there Web site.
All you'll need is a Phillips screw driver and a multi-meter.
TURBS
Could you please provide the link. I can not find any diagnostic flow charts on the WFCO page.

Tags
battery, charging