Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 09:56 AM   #1

Battery keep going dry

I have a 2014 sunseeker 3170 it has two batteries under the step.
the one on the right keeps going dry and have to add water the one on the left or rear does not. I have added water to the front one 3 time and it takes more than a quart each time. Should I switch them around ?
Old 05-31-2015, 10:05 AM   #2

When I owned a diesel pusher with 4 batteries, the front two always required more water than the back two. Also, the charging systems on many RV's do not reduce the charge amount to match the level of charge in a individual battery. The result is the water can get "boiled out" of the battery(s) if the unit is stored plugged into a land/house circuit all/most of the time. My recommendation is to unplug your RV with a fully charged battery, turn the battery disconnect switch to OFF. If you wish, replug it in from time to time if your concerned about the battery becoming slightly discharged while in storage. IMHO this shouldn't be a major concern unless the storage period stretches into many months.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #3

Couple things... When you add water does all 6 cells take about the same amount? If not that battery might have a bad/shorted cell causing the other 5 to overcharge.

Second, how are the two wired up? Should be (if both 12 volt) positive to positive, negative to negative between the two batteries... THEN house line positive to one battery's positive AND house line negative (ground) to the other battery's negative. Both house feed lines should not go to the same battery.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #4

It was wired for factory. Both takes about the same amount of water.

Tags
battery