Old 05-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #1

Battery Recommendations?

The batteries on my 2014 Sunseeker are just about shot and I'm looking for recommendations for replacements. We don't boondock and generally just go to horse shows with the SS where we will plug in to a 30amp pedestal (or a 50amp one with adaptor). Consequently, I am not looking for solar or the latest ones for super power or anything. Just your basic 12V deep cycle replacement batteries. When not in use, I keep the SS in an enclosed Pole Barn where I have a 30 amp/120V pedestal installed that I can plug into.

BTW, are these group 65 batteries?

Thanks in advance.

Newly Retired!!!!
Atlanta Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Panther View Post
The batteries on my 2014 Sunseeker are just about shot and I'm looking for recommendations for replacements. We don't boondock and generally just go to horse shows with the SS where we will plug in to a 30amp pedestal (or a 50amp one with adaptor). Consequently, I am not looking for solar or the latest ones for super power or anything. Just your basic 12V deep cycle replacement batteries. When not in use, I keep the SS in an enclosed Pole Barn where I have a 30 amp/120V pedestal installed that I can plug into.

BTW, are these group 65 batteries?

Thanks in advance.
You can use any RV Marine battery. It doesn't matter since you are plugged in all the time.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

Group 65 is the chassis battery. Most house in SS are group 27.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #4

I think that a battery group number refers to battery size and post configuration (and probably other things). You could get the RV/Marine batteries that fit and I would shop at a national chain for warranty purposes.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Group 65 is the chassis battery. Most house in SS are group 27.

Can also use an Interstate Group 29 and any Group 31. These hold more power than the group 27.

OP May not boondock but the larger batteries can come in handy on a cold evening if stopping overnight without hookups.

Smaller batteries may "Last" but chances are they're discharging more than the 50% depth of discharge limit for max battery life. A larger battery won't cost much more but will last a lot longer under normal circumstances.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #6

Duracell group 31 from Sams is a good choice and price. Mine are still doing well after 3 years and we have the same style as you. I did change my WIFCO charger for a Progressive. I fell the Progressive does a better job at keeping the batteries in good condition.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #7

Walked thru Costco today.

They have the Interstate gc2 6 volt batteries in stock.

$93 each. The two sixes have a lot of output.

If they fit. Got to measure.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Duracell group 31 from Sams is a good choice and price. Mine are still doing well after 3 years and we have the same style as you. I did change my WIFCO charger for a Progressive. I fell the Progressive does a better job at keeping the batteries in good condition.
I just upgraded to the Duracell AGM group 31s from Sams this weekend. They fit in my 2016 Forester perfectly. My rig came with a 60 amp progressive converter.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Can also use an Interstate Group 29 and any Group 31. These hold more power than the group 27.

OP May not boondock but the larger batteries can come in handy on a cold evening if stopping overnight without hookups.

Smaller batteries may "Last" but chances are they're discharging more than the 50% depth of discharge limit for max battery life. A larger battery won't cost much more but will last a lot longer under normal circumstances.
I have 2 group 31 bats AGM in my step with a 4 stage converter. I figured I would just tell him what came in it new.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #10

Final Question

So based on what I am reading from y'all, the Duracell AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery - Group Size 31 from Sam's for $179.74 seem like the way to go as they are the largest batteries I can easily fit in the compartment and are maintenance free. Even though these are the cheapest AGM batteries I have found in the group 31 size, they are still almost double the price of the regular wet cell batteries. Having said that, it is a PITA to constantly be checking battery water levels, etc, in the wet cell type batteries so I am probably going to buy the AGMs. However, I just wanted to double check and make sure that there is no maintenance at all with these...I just take out the old house batteries, put these in the battery compartment and hook them up and nothing else needs to be done...the 3010DS's charger will keep these batteries' charge where it needs to be. Like I said in my OP, we don't really boondock, just hook up to 30 or 50 amp shore power at the horse shows and then plug in to my 30amp RV hookup at home.

Am I understanding this correctly? Does that sound like the way to go?

Thanks gang, for your help in this and other posts!

Newly Retired!!!!
Atlanta Panther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, converter