Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #1

Battery removal for winter

So I've read several articles about how the best thing to do in the winter is to remove your house batteries, put them somewhere that won't freeze and use a battery tender on them. That makes sense, but what about the truck battery? I intend to leave power connected to the rig but with the house batteries disconnected, will the truck battery stay charged, or do I need to worry about that one as well?
jeffreymhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #2

Battery removal for winter

I don't bother with that.... Just top them off with water and keep them charged. They won't freeze if they are charged....I leave mine plugged in all the time so I never need to worry about the batteries not being charged. One important point though....I have a progressive dynamics 3/4 stage charger/converter so I don't need to worry about cooking the batteries. When I had the stock wcfo charger/converter I did not leave it plugged in all the time. If you are plugged in, the chassis battery will stay charged too.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

Lots of discussion on this topic here. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ery-95275.html. Although different equipment there are different and informative discussions on it. Your equipment might be different, but good read never the less.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #4

Jeffrey, I concur with the last two posts. Especially being in Virginia you shouldn't have to remove the house batteries. Of course it wouldn't hurt, but I leave my batteries in (I have 4 in parallel as I do a lot of dry camping) all winter as well as starting the generator every couple of weeks or so. We have temperatures as low as -20F and never had any problems.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #5

I leave my unit plugged in and I keep an electric heater (on thermostat) at about 40*~45*
This way I can leave everything in the unit (TVs and supplies etc) and get away with just draining and blowout (antifreeze in tanks & traps only)
I'm in the Carolina's
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #6

I have always left my batteries in my camper. Once a month I visit the camper and start my cheap $79 harbor freight (2 stroke) generator and let the generator run for about 7-8 hours to top off the batteries. This has worked well for me for many years.

I don't even mess with the 30 amp plug in cord. I cut a female plug off of a short extension cable and added a second male connector plug. I then plug that into an external outlet. I hate messing with the thicker cords when it is cold out.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #7

If your unit has a Batt Disconnect,us it,if not remove 1 Batt cable,and Leave the Batt where its at! I never remove the Batt in any of My Equip. Tractors/tillers /mowers/blowers/boats/trucks/snowmobiles/ and some of them sit for 6 Plus months! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #8

Respecfully disagree, all batteries self discharge...various sources say that can ne be up to 30% per month. You let that battery drop below 50% and you are reducing its life cycle- overall number of charge discharge cycles.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, winter