Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

Battleborn Lithium ion batteries

I am about to invest in a couple Battleborn lithium ion 100AH batteries and an upgraded charge controller BUT I have heard that some lithium ion batteries don’t have enough CCA to start the onboard Onan 4000 generator that I have. I’m not sure about the Battleborns brand though.

Does anyone have 2 of these and if so, does it have enough CCA to start your generator?

The Onan 4000 needs between 350-400 CCA to start it up. I do t want to invest that much money if I have to jump start my generator!!
Old 12-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #2

Ask a couple battery retailers this same question about cca's. I say a couple so you're not just asking the guy that wants to sell you the battery. Also have you tried the Retailer's website about specs on the specific batteries you're going to use? I know sometimes deep cycle batteries don't have cca's readily available as information
Old 12-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #3

A quick search on the battery below shows it has a 200-amp 30 second range. If you had two of them, I think you'd be okay for your generator, you might want to think about line drop depending how far your batteries are from your generator as well.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181208-173915.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	192838
Old 12-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #4

I called Battleborn and they said to get 3 batteries to play it safe with the generator. The Onan 4000W generator requires between 350-400 amps to turn the engine over. 2 batteries is border line.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
2012 Solera

This came up in another thread. The three battery solution seems sure to work, but at about a grand a battery is expensive- and, if your motor home is like mine, three won’t fit in the under stair battery area.

I suggested an alternative solution- wire just the starter on the generator to the chassis battery. Believe the generator has a starter solenoid. Would have to remove any other connections from the proper (power) solenoid terminal and connect them to the house power, then run a LARGE diameter (low gauge) wire from that solenoid terminal to the chassis power. Ground is common and should not be an issue. The solenoid should isolate the chassis power line from the house power (which would trigger the solenoid).

I have not tried this - just an idea, not a tested solution.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjpetr65 View Post
I called Battleborn and they said to get 3 batteries to play it safe with the generator. The Onan 4000W generator requires between 350-400 amps to turn the engine over. 2 batteries is border line.
That is surprising and ridiculous. My 3.6KW Onan generator has no trouble starting even when my "two" batteries are down to 30%, haven't tried it lower than that but it will be fine.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
That is surprising and ridiculous. My 3.6KW Onan generator has no trouble starting even when my "two" batteries are down to 30%, haven't tried it lower than that but it will be fine.
I'm also surprised. I've regularly started my Onan 5500 with a single lithium BB battery.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjpetr65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
I don't see how having a third battery for starting a generator is ridiculous. Unless you have a "pull start" option on the generator there's always the possibility that house batteries can be run down to the point they won't start the generator. Short of a jump start then what?

Not saying the generator needs to have a LiFePo battery for starting but a smaller battery sized just for the generator would be the ticket. Maybe even a battery capable of starting a large motorcycle like a Harley.

Running a heavy wire with bypass solenoid from chassis battery might be a good substitute as well. Use solenoid to connect chassis battery directly to generator's solenoid terminal for "jump starting".

Basic rule with batteries. If they can go dead they will and it will be at the least convenient time.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #9

Why not just add a small lead acid battery for generator starting? It could be wired via a solenoid so that it drops out when the generator isn't running so won't affect the charge controller, once started it would charge off the generator no? If not plug in a small Harbor Freight charger to the generator connected to that battery.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I don't see how having a third battery for starting a generator is ridiculous. Unless you have a "pull start" option on the generator there's always the possibility that house batteries can be run down to the point they won't start the generator. Short of a jump start then what?

Not saying the generator needs to have a LiFePo battery for starting but a smaller battery sized just for the generator would be the ticket. Maybe even a battery capable of starting a large motorcycle like a Harley.

Running a heavy wire with bypass solenoid from chassis battery might be a good substitute as well. Use solenoid to connect chassis battery directly to generator's solenoid terminal for "jump starting".

Basic rule with batteries. If they can go dead they will and it will be at the least convenient time.
I would start it off the Chassis battery, in fact my Dynamax has an interconnect switch to momentarily connect the 3 batteries together. If it didn't have the switch I would rather pull the chassis battery to start the generator than haul around a 60 lb battery I would probably never need. Of course I am very Cargo Weight challenged so it might work fine for others.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 12-28-2018, 06:13 PM   #11

What am I missing here, Why would anyone pay a $1000 for a single 12V battery even if it is Lithium, mercy you can get a truck load of golf cart batteries for that much. much less 3 of them
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
What am I missing here, Why would anyone pay a $1000 for a single 12V battery even if it is Lithium, mercy you can get a truck load of golf cart batteries for that much. much less 3 of them
1) Each weighs 29 lbs instead of 65 lbs.
2) Can be fully discharged instead of only to 50%.
3) Much faster charge time.
4) Built in management system to protect batteries.
5) Can be discharged 3,000 - 5,000 times with 80% of capacity after 3,000.
Most Lead/Acid last 500 or less cycles.

Plus many other reasons. For me its the convenience of having about 2.5 times the available power when I am boondocking then recharging in about 1/3 the time. If you stay on shore power all the time they are obviously not needed but for me they are well worth the cost and then some.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 12-28-2018, 08:06 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
For me, it was all about the weight savings. I put 4 batteries in and took one out. They were quite close to the same weight.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries