Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Before I distroy my 3100SS question?

I need to replace the WFCO Converter 9845 in the 2008 Sunseeker and need some help before I do somthing wrong. It looks to easy to be easy. The converter is in the basement in the middle of the large pass threw. The way it looks, all I have to do is disconnect the battery, climb inside the pass threw, disconnect the ground wire, remove and tape the POS & NEG wires that are attached, remove the 4 bolts holding it to the wall, unplug it and reverse the process to install the new one...RIGHT? or am I missing somthing here? The dealership wants $116 to do this.

edited for spelling

Old 05-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
GM

It's "just" that easy. Wires, bolts, 24" cord that plugs into power outlet.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #3

WOW thanks and the dearler wants $116....
Old 05-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I have found that every job gets "rounded" UP to the next whole hour at over a hundred bucks an hour. Another Grrrrr with RV dealers.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I have found that every job gets "rounded" UP to the next whole hour at over a hundred bucks an hour. Another Grrrrr with RV dealers.
Yea, but if the job is less than 15 minutes, I think they should give you a break. Yea right?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #6

Chances are, most dealer service departments work by what the book says on labor costs. Some decided that the average time to replace a converter was "xxxx", so that is what the dealers go by to change them out, but we all know it is done much quicker, generally. Some are easier to replace than others, depending on what camper you have. It SHOULD be priced dependent on the difficulty of each particular situation, but sadly it probably isn't. Auto service departments work the same way. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #7

08flagvlite

Back 100 years ago in the US Army, in the shops I had to account for everyones time. We used such a "book" and let me tell you it was way off...if any of my shop took as long as the book said to repace or fix, I would have been all over them.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Another reason I was not happy with my old dealership. It seemed every repair was "Parts Plus Labor" Unless it was a "Special" I never knew what the bill was going to look like.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
GM

As a rep, I thought most dealers charge way to much as well...until you're there watching them fix a unit. There is no such thing as a 15 minute fix...it may be for us, but even a retail customer has to drive somewhere to get the part or take the time to order it online.

They have to write up the order, go get the unit out in the yard somewhere, pull the unit in. Confirm what the problem is, go get the part. (someone has to go get it or someone had to order it, inventory it etc). Install the part, clean up the tools, take the unit back into the holding area, call the customer to let them know its done, bill it.

I'm a firm believer that if you can do it yourself, you should. Even though it may be a 15 minute job, (4) people from the dealership have handled the repair in some way. The building, the tools, the staff, the training...all adds up. It takes spending a day in the shop to appreciate how it all adds up. (plus the normal amount of "staring at stuff" and standing around thinking).
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #10

Factory sales rep
1-even a retail customer has to drive somewhere to get the part or take the time to order it online.
1a-Part was at the dealership I had my hands on it. It is a standard kept on hands part. No extra work to order it. Dealership supply chain should be automated to keep normal usage stock/parts on hand.
2-The building, the tools, the staff, the training...all adds up.
2a-That is the problem too many hands touching it. The Navy using a process called Lean Six Sigma started a work consolidation program a fee year ago. Example: A cook does not cook all day, so he can also be a firefighter but he does not fight fires all day so, he can also be a mail clerk, so on and so forth. There is no reason that the mechanic can't install the part, clean up the tools, take the unit back into the holding area, call the customer, enter the info in the computerized system that automatically does the invoicing if they stop "staring at stuff" and standing around thinking, that is not what they get paid to do. Then the really cute cashier at the front desk can take the customers money when they get the unit back.
Additionally, if I can buy the part for $132 retail, the dealership can buy it for a lot less (or they are buying from the wrong vendor), yet they want to charge me $77 more than an advertised retail price is just not right nor good business. I told the dealership the price then showed them on the website and they did not even waver on their price.
Anyway thanks for your input.

Tags
3100ss