Old 02-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #11
4898 retired
VW Passat

I was in the same boat, wanted something new but light to tow. I selected a 2014 VW Passat TDI, SE with standard transmission. Tows great and when we get to our destination we get great fuel mileage. I was also looking at the Cadillac ATS since you can get it in a standard trans but GM would not recommend towing it four down. As for the VW some say yes some say no as far as towing it four down. I found an article from VW that stated you could so I went with it and I'm glad I did. My biggest issue was wiring up the taillights but we got it done. Good luck with your purchase.

2013 SportsCoach Cross Country
2014 Passat toad

lilsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #12
4 down is the way to go IMO, and for my money, the Ford Focus is hard to beat. Great fuel economy, good power and decent ride for a small car, all for under 20k.

For more info, google Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Towing Guide, then check reviews and road tests on websites such as KBB or Edmunds and, by all means, test drive a few.

Rod & Carla B.
The Hounds Kooper & Abby
2015 Sunseeker 3010; '14 Ford Focus toad
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #13
Looking Down Range
Not all (automatic) Jeeps are towable with all four down -- like the size of the Compass, but not towable with automatic. The Grand Cherokee is great for towing, but we want something lighter for times in the mountains, so we got the Ford Focus and had the InvisiBrake installed. No problems with it and barely know it's behind us.
2014 Forester 3051S
2013 Ford Focus
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:29 PM   #14
We bought 2013 Equinox to tow 4 down blue ox tow bar, just got back from fl and it worked great. Changed from a dolly and won't go back.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #15
Talking New HRV by Honda

The 2015 HRV is not rated for towing. However, Honda has a new car coming out in a matter of days, the HRV that is rated for towing. the HRV fits between the Fit and the CRV, size wise and price wise. Happy Trails.
Drivestregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #16
2013 Ford focus, Manual trans ,Falcon tow bar,and the Invisa brake Pulled behind our 3010DSF,, Like its not even back there. We have towed it aprox 5000 miles so far.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:03 PM   #17
2014 CRV and RVi brake system

We are towing a Honda CRV with 4 wheels down with the Blue Ox towing bar. Very nice installation and because the CRV is so popular it is very well integrated. I also just bought the RV1 brake system and that works great, easy to install and well designed.
folkertk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #18
We just settled on a Used Jeep Wrangler. Probably one of the easiest to tow vehicles out there. We are leaning toward the Ready Brute tow bar and surge brake system. It's stone knife simple, no boxes to put in and take out or mount under the seat. So far everything I have read about it has been positive if installed by someone who knows what they are doing. Plus it is considerably cheaper !!
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:17 PM   #19
Older Honda CRV - we have a 2011 automatic front wheel drive with over 60k towed miles. Second is a Ford Edge automatic front wheel drive - has to be the 6 cylinder. The eco boost uses a different automatic transmission and is NOT rated for flat towing. Also interestingly enough the all wheel drive has to be towed flat or all four on a trailer. Cannot be towed with two wheels on a dolly.
wintertexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #20
I tow a 2013 Honda Fit and a 2004 Honda Element with blue ox and Honda is all I have
ever towed....I f you are buying new check FMCA's 2015 towing guide ...

gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote