Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

Big Foot - What if they don't retract?

My previous RV had the HWH levelers. Those retract at a 90 degree angle. One time, when I was in Colorado at 8600 feet in MAY and it was 30 degrees, one of my levelers wouldn't retract. So..... I held my breath, crossed my fingers, and DROVE IT OFF. It worked. No damage, thank goodness.

But, the Big Foot go straight up and down. What if one doesn't retract? Is that what the "emergency" button is for? What if it doesn't work?

Just want to be prepared.......

I LOVE THEM!

Only problem I have had is leaking hydraulic fluid, but the two times I have gone in for warranty, two different dealers said the same thing, it was too full, and the excess was leaking out. This only happened when temps got to 80's and 90's.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #2

No emergency method I know of except to open the cover and disconnect the cyclinder lines to bleed off the pressure. You should then be able to mnaully retract them and tape or tie the feet up.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

I'll admit when I hit the retract button it's a fingers crossed kind of moment.

I did mine aftermarket so went to Quadra in Michigan. Asked this exact question. I didn't get a totally clear answer on do this, do that, etc. The little control unit (probably under your driver's seat toward the back) - they told me to unplug one of the wires from it to reset the system. I can't remember which one now. It's written down in the owners manual in the coach. The other thing they told me is to call the tech support line for assistance.

I've also often wondered what the "emergency retract" button does as compared to just the normal "retract" button.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #4

I installed a complete manual system on my FR MH so it's the 4 jack with one pump system.. there is a togo switch directly mounted on the pump it self.. if for some reason the remote or panel switches do not work I would have to slid under the unit by the pump and reach up and simply hold the "override emergency switch" until all the jacks come up.. not sure about the auto unites as each yack has it own Pump but I would think it would be the same.
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Anacortesians

Worst comes to worst, a big wrecking bar to push them in might work, particularly if you unhook the pressure hose that runs them down.

I'm glad my rig has jacks that both extend and retract with hydraulic pressure, no dependence on retraction springs. Pure happenstance with our choice of a used rig, but I think (as a retired airplane hydraulics engineer) I'd have reworked things to use pressure to retract.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #6

frank the Bigfoot system is a power up system no retraction springs. as far as how to get them up if they fail it depends on what failed. the emergency retract button does basically the same thing zooks togo switch does it bypasses the auto switch and runs all 4 power units in the up mode
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote