Old 05-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #11

Seeing this is a site talking about class C's I am still puzzled by some posts questioning the usefulness of hydraulic jacks. What is the alternative, using the good old Lego blocks under the tires(?), don't forget its pouring outside while you are doing this! One of the reasons I enjoy class A's is the leveling system. Nothing better than pulling into a campground late at night and pushing a few buttons to level and stabilize the rig.
Why I wandered onto this thread is to read up on Bigfoot jacks. I am somewhat surprised to read that Forest River uses them on their class C's whereas on their class A rigs they use Lippert or LCI jacks. They also are a division of Berkshire Hathaway so it makes them somewhat more vertical in manufacturing. Before I bought my Georgetown I was looking at a rig that had Bigfoot levelers and from what I've read they are a very good system.

To DXSMac, good to see you posting on the Forest River Forum, I used to see your posts all the time on the defunct RV Travel Forum and have read your blog RV'ing without a toad a couple of times. I moved from an Allegro to a Georgtown.

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
GM

Although the Georgetown division is a division of Berkshire Hathaway, each division is run independently. Our focus is building the best Class C we can...we keep an eye on them to see if they have any good ideas, but sometimes one product has characteristics that lends itself to a Class C over a Class A.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Seeing this is a site talking about class C's I am still puzzled by some posts questioning the usefulness of hydraulic jacks. What is the alternative, using the good old Lego blocks under the tires(?), don't forget its pouring outside while you are doing this! One of the reasons I enjoy class A's is the leveling system. Nothing better than pulling into a campground late at night and pushing a few buttons to level and stabilize the rig.
Never had an "A" but the problem I have experienced with the "big foots" on a "C" is lack of the systems ability to level the coach if it is more than a couple inches off level. You can lift the front wheels off the ground in certain situations to get the coach level but the stability is then very poor. You need the wheels solidly touching or it acts like being on wobbly table legs. I carry blocks to minimize the stroke which helps some but sometimes you just have to find another more level campsite.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Love My Sunseeker

THanks, BC, I'll do that.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #15

I almost always use blocks under my levelers. I figure it gives a bigger footprint on the ground, especially during rainy periods. I carry several pieces with me that I get from new home build sites. Nothing like a large square of roof ridge board as a pad for the jacks. This is not to be confused with the Lego blocks you see campers use under their tires if they do not have levelers.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #16
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Seeing this is a site talking about class C's I am still puzzled by some posts questioning the usefulness of hydraulic jacks. What is the alternative, using the good old Lego blocks under the tires(?), don't forget its pouring outside while you are doing this!
I call them "Lincoln Logs." I have also called them Lego Blocks. I have previously had the HWH and dealers have told me that HWH is the ONLY type you can do on a Class C. They were ok, but a bit of a pain in the ****. I now have BigFoot, and they are WONDERFUL!

Quote:
Why I wandered onto this thread is to read up on Bigfoot jacks. I am somewhat surprised to read that Forest River uses them on their class C's whereas on their class A rigs they use Lippert or LCI jacks.
This is my first time with BigFoot. I have previously had HWH, and they are a pain. However, right now I am having an issue with the hydraulic fluid leaking. Been to an RV dealer that I trust TWICE and they cannot duplicate the problem. They are not leaking now, but temps are in the 60's. What the RV dealer noticed is that they leaked when temps hit 80's. First time I went in, dealer replaced a fitting, but really couldn't find a problem. Then they leaked again, and still couldn't find a problem. If they only leak at temps of 80 degrees, then I am going to have a problem because I'm hosting in North Dakota this summer. Temps will be hot there! So far, I paid dealer for their time, but haven't "warrantied" it yet. I emailed a copy of the invoice to Quadra (BigFoot), they are going to figure out who needs to reimburse me, and, if there is an underlying problem.

Quote:
To DXSMac, good to see you posting on the Forest River Forum, I used to see your posts all the time on the defunct RV Travel Forum and have read your blog RV'ing without a toad a couple of times. I moved from an Allegro to a Georgtown.
Thank you for the recognition. I miss that RV travel forum. I need to do some updating of the blog, but I'm hosting in an area with a lousy Verizon signal. It's "catch when you can."

Old 09-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
Love My Sunseeker

I have had my THIRD leak on front driver's side. An RV dealer in Minnesota said it needs replaced.

I have emailed Quadra to get an authorization. I can't have the Minnesota dealer do the work because I need to get home, I don't have time to hang around Minnesota and wait for them to do the repair. I have an RV dealer at home that will do the repair. So, I'm hoping Quadra will give me an authorization.