Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #1

Bigfoot leveler lifting front wheels off the ground?

I had my new to me Sunseeker with the Bigfoot leveler out for the first time yesterday. It leveled just fine on one spot, but I moved because it was a terrible spot. I got a better spot but it sloped toward the front. After the leveler was done, I jumped out and saw the front wheels off the ground a little bit. Is that ok? This wasn't a very good campground so none of the spots were all that great.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #2

I would carry some wood ramps/boards and run the front tire on them to keep the lift to a minimum.

I would also carry something like this in case that last step is a doozy.

Platform Steps :: Stromberg Carlson
Old 05-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #3
Average Joe

Mine does that sometimes. I don't like it because it moves more sticking up in the air. I have a couple 3" ramps I use just to keep a little weight on the wheels. Feels more stable that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:48 AM   #4

Happened to me once and I didn't feel compfy about it
I bought a bag of the orange stacking pads (Legos)
We talked about this on a thread a while back and the consensus was go to manual and do the best you can to level with tires at least touching the ground
I don't doubt the Bigfoot can handle the load but if the park fails in the tranny (my backs were off the ground)
It could be dangerous
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #5

Don't lift the back off the ground front is fine won't hurt anything

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #6

Did you check the level inside the camper to make sure it is truly level. Sometimes the leveling systems get out of calibration and causes the jacks to respond incorrectly.
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #7

Is your control panel for the jacks silver and green?

[QUOTE=gmacklem;872136]I had my new to me Sunseeker with the Bigfoot leveler out for the first time yesterday. It leveled just fine on one spot, but I moved because it was a terrible spot. I got a better spot but it sloped toward the front. After the leveler was done, I jumped out and saw the front wheels off the ground a little bit. Is that ok? This wasn't a very good campground so none of the spots were all that great.[/QUOTE

Is your control panel for your jacks silver and green? I had issues with my new Sunseeker as well. They call them auto leveling jacks but they are not, if you have this control panel. I push start and they all come down the same distance. I must manually level the RV after that. I called Bigfoot and they said they are putting these in now because they were having problems with the self leveling ones not leveling properly.
Hepzeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #8

That's crazy, Big foot is supposed to be a self leveling system as they advertize. If you wheels come off the ground block them in the up position then hit relevel. should take the pressure off the rams.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #9

Same issue with my Sunseeker if it's on really unlevel ground, I keep two sets of plastic stackable leveling blocks on hand. I also use a bulls eye level, place it in the freezer and check level, then take the level out. Have fun.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #10

I have camped in spots where the left side tires were four or five inches off the ground, the camper is not as stable but i dont think it is anything to worry about. i do put blocks under the feet so the rams dont have to extend as far when i am in a spot that is not very level. Enjoy your autolevel.
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

We had Bigfoot Levelors on a 31' MH (not OEM) and, when parked in our driveway, the front wheels would be about 6"-8" off the ground. If you're in it, it will wiggle a bit but it never hurt anything. They do auto level quite well unless someone has dunked with the sensor. Easiest way I found to check the level is with the bubble level app on my iPhone. Just lay the phone on the floor and read it. Someone talked about blocking it to take the load off the Levelors but the only way that's happening is if you get the wheels higher than level, block up under them and let it down so the weight is back on the springs. Going to be a tricky calculation to get that height, the wobble is going to depend on how stiff your springs are and you'll likely wind up with a leveler that doesn't reach the ground. I personally would rather leave the load on it; they're designed for that.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:10 PM   #12

Thanks everyone. I have decided to level the RV as much as possible with blocks under the wheels. Then use the big foot levelers, with jack pads, to finish leveling. I will try to keep the wheels on the blocks.

Someone asked earlier and yes, the ones I have are auto levelers.

Tags
wheel