Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #1

Bigfoot leveling self-install

Anyone done this themselves? I'm looking at the Bigfoot Platinum system for my 2014 Sunseeker 3170DS. I'm pretty handy, but this seems like a challenge.
cardtarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #2

I was at the International Rally and after had the Equalizer self leveling put on at their factory. I watched them do it and I could but would not myself.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #3

Doable, I guess. I would think the front jacks will be the most difficult. Remember that on the rear there is a cross bar connecting the jacks together for stabilization. Without it, you run the risk of the jacks collapsing and twisting your frame. There is an old 2014/215 thread on the subject. FR left them off of some units. I would hope this would be fully explained in the installation instructions. This crossover support is not needed on the front.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 PM   #4

I'm not really worried about the jacks themselves, my sunseeker has pre-installed brackets, so they will just bolt on. It's running the wires, making it look pretty, that type of stuff that I'm a bit hesitant on.

And there is nothing in the installation manual about a rear cross bar on the E450. I'll definitely ask them about it if I end up buying.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #5

Mine are hydroloc. So running 2 lines for each Jack.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:26 PM   #6

Did it. Not too bad, other than not being as young as I used to be (sore from working under).

I did not mount the controller. I am using their "box" and keep it behind the driver's seat. By not mounting, I can use the box outside and watch the process, without needing help.

Simple to get the wires into the cab by removing the trim in the driver door opening.
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardtarget View Post
I'm not really worried about the jacks themselves, my sunseeker has pre-installed brackets, so they will just bolt on. It's running the wires, making it look pretty, that type of stuff that I'm a bit hesitant on.

And there is nothing in the installation manual about a rear cross bar on the E450. I'll definitely ask them about it if I end up buying.
Did you get this installed?
dmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

Nope, not yet. Just couldn't pull the trigger (both financially and ability-wise).
Old 03-21-2019, 01:38 AM   #9

If you do it and run the hoses and wires in any proper way your installation may be "prettier" than my factory installation.
Mainly the wires were hanging down begging to be snatched loose. I got under it and secured everything to my liking. I had to unplug some of the wires to route them correctly.

Maybe the same installer was responsible for the incorrect wiring harness rerouting job that a Ford dealer had to repair.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #10

Kirk, was that the actual factory in Michigan? Or a dealer somewhere else?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardtarget View Post
Kirk, was that the actual factory in Michigan? Or a dealer somewhere else?
As far as records go, the coach, a Forester 3051, was built at plant 34 in Elkhart, IN and they installed the system.

The Bigfoot jacks and hydraulics seem fine and it works well manually. To me, the routing of the associated wiring was careless, as was other under-chassis wiring I have had corrected.

As for auto leveling, I have found a level spot and reprogrammed the system three times. Each time it does a little better but still raises the entire vehicle higher than necessary in Auto mode, most times raising the wheels off the ground.

I have spoken with Bigfoot and according to our conversation I have followed the re-programming instructions properly.

I found the Bigfoot module under the refrigerator and it is attached firmly to the floor and pointing in the correct direction.

I just use a 2 foot bubble level on the floor inside near the steps while I stand outside and deploy the jacks manually.
That method seems to be faster than waiting on auto to do its thing anyway.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #12
Retired Navy

I had a Virginia truck repair shop recommended by Big Foot do my install since I did not brackets from the factory. The installer put the controls immediately to the left as you enter the cabin, rather than on the dashboard. I stand at the cabin door to do the leveling with a electronic level on the floor in front of me.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:57 PM   #13

Bigfoot leveling self-install

For everyone's information, this is the post for the Bigfoot rear levelers and the important crossbrace from 5 years ago. I did not have the brace but was able to order from Bigfoot, thanks to the posting. The link does work.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ame-57561.html
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, saunseeker, sunseeker