Old 02-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
Billet Grill insert for 2016 2250

I had ordered myself a few Christmas presents, one was a new billet grill insert.

Here's the Sunseeker just after we brought it home. It needed something to spruce up the grill:

I spent yesterday afternoon and this morning on installing the inserts - here's the finished grill:

One thing that's always bugged me about many vehicles is the hardware behind the grill is the wrong color - body panels, AC condensers, braces, etc. The AC condenser in the Express was no different:

Using a very light coat of flat black paint, I sprayed just enough to darken the bright bits:

Then installed the grill, markers and headlights. Here's the finished product:

It is a vanity item... purely for appearance. But hey, it's not often you buy a brand new motorhome & get to add a few accents!

I purchased the insert from Amazon; it required a lot of work to get it to look right.
While the billets were well made, the welded in aluminum nuts had powder coat paint in them; I used a tab to clear the threads.
Next, the provided studs were inconsistent, and a bit beat up. They are 2.5cm lengths (1"ish) of 5mm threaded rod, with a slot in one end to help thread them into the mounting holes. I ran a tap over the whole lot as the end with the slot would bind the nuts.
Next, I used additional nuts to bind the rods into the mounting points, and used lock-tite to secure & provide a bit of corrosion resistance.
Once the studs were mounted, I mounted the lower unit without difficulty. It looked good, save a spot where the nobbies on the grill were pushing the bars up & down.
The upper unit was terrible. It had too much curve for the grill, and had to be pulled in with a lot of pressure to get the nuts to start. Also, the curve was incorrect - it was straight, but it needed a bit of a smile type curve. I worked on the unit for quite a while to re curve it in both directions but it still wouldn't mount correctly. I took my dremel tool & cut the nubs off, then using a course, file, cleaned it up & finished flattening the surface. After cleaning the edges, I was finally able to mount the upper unit & make it look good.

I would have preferred to purchase a replacement GMC grill & had a billet filler that didn't have a cut-out for the GMC logo, but those are difficult to come by. Better yet, if they made a billet that replaced the entire grill - that would be the ticket. (It's only money....)

2016 2250LE/Chevy
Formerly: 2000 Four Winds 26Q/Ford, '96 Kit Sportsmaster 22' 5th wheel, '91 Sunlite truck camper, Wildernest flip-top canopy
brucemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #2
Looks good.
I added a molded dark tinted bug guard also to the hood.
De-stickered the front cap also.
The White/black/silver color combo looks great IMO.

"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #3
It certainly adds to the look. I thought about removing the logo off the front cap as well. At a minimum, remove the "By Forest River" & leave Sunseeker.
Speaking of de-stickering, I've already removed all the small identifying exterior stickers except the model number, and gas & propane stickers. I know it is 30amp, etc. Also, all the stickers on the range hood and entry door have disappeared. Using a hair dryer, they pull off pretty easily. Afterwards, a bit of mineral spirits or alcohol removes the residual stickies. (be sure to check in an inconspicuous spot first to ensure the base material stays intact...)

I'm in the process of replacing the entry door window with a clear sheet; I need the visibility when we are pulling out at an angle where I can't see down the road to my left. While the black frame is out - it turned white. I found when I removed it the opening was slightly larger than the frame, and the rear edge of the outside frame's seal was stuck to nothing. I've replaced these frames on previous rigs as they were always degraded from the sun - particularly if the frame is dark. It seems they don't have a UV coating, or the plastic is not UV resistant. When it goes back in, it'll both be UV resistant and properly sealed.
2016 2250LE/Chevy
Formerly: 2000 Four Winds 26Q/Ford, '96 Kit Sportsmaster 22' 5th wheel, '91 Sunlite truck camper, Wildernest flip-top canopy
brucemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
I've built two national winning showvans w/ tube grills - never had that much prep to install them. But tubes look great - we are adding one to the S.S.- i just hope that I won't have to pull the front end!
2016 sunseeker 2250slec
1988 Jayco p.u.,Coleman Plantation p.u.,1989 Jayco class c, Coachman TT,1995 Little Eddie fthwheel,2007 Heartland Sundance 2500 lS fthwheel
geeman53 is offline   Reply With Quote