Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #1

Black Sploches on Roof

I recently purchased a 2005 27' Sunseeker. Things didn't go as expected and I ended up having a bunch of rot taken out of the cabover. This weekend I took a much closer look at the roof and now everything seems sealed. What I noticed though was that there were black sploches all over the rubber roof. I know on the rubber roof that there is a white layer then black underneath. What I believe and want confirmation of is that I think something got onto the roof that ate away sploches of the white. I didn't apply any cleaner yet. Does anybody have any experiences with this. Is it something that may wash off or is the roof failing? If so, what are my options?

Thanks
J2Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
One Happy Camper!

J2,

Without pictures it is hard to picture. It could be a number of things. I would try a clean rag with a little mineral spirits on a small area. If it is a contaminant on the surface it will come off, if it is damage it wont. It might be a simple cleaning job, or you may need to roll on a new rubber roof. I hope it's the first.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on this site, but pictures would really help to identify your issue.

Regards,

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to a good article on EPDM rubber roofing... The RV Doctor: RVs, Rubber Roofing, and You

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote