Old 09-13-2016, 08:19 PM   #21
Originally Posted by pkeene View Post
I set the timer on my phone since its always in my pocket when moving around doing other things during the flush.
Same here. 5 minutes seems to be a good amount of time to get a good flush out.

Marc & Jan
Molly, Abby & Katie | The Cocker K-9 Kids!|Toad 2014 Cadillac SRX
2012 Berkshire 360FWS, Brake Buddy Vantage|Wineguard Travler SK-3005
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:28 PM   #22
Originally Posted by LTRVing View Post
Fresh water, 2nd rinse. No smell at all, lucky, bleach cleaned all we could see. I normally babysit the process, however, just as I started I got an important phone call and got distracted for a few minutes too long. As soon a you think you've got this RV thing figured out, wammo, live and learn. Fortunatly no small animals were harmed during this screw up. ;-)
Here is my thoughts on the water you saw spilling from your RV. First of all leaving the flush process or being distracted is a no-no... Put that aside for now. My thoughts are about the water that spilled from somewhere. If it was from the black tank system then I would think you would have a sewer smell. I don't care if it was the second or third flush, the smell in the black tank does not flush out. If water came out of your black tank system then sewer gases should also be coming from that same breech in your system. Do you smell any sewer odors? If no, then I would suspect your flush system plumbing. Just my thoughts...

2016 Siverback 33IK
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Super Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #23
Black tank flush

We only add a bit of water to the black tank "after it is emptied " then add a shot of dawn. If someone told you it would come up thru the toilet and flood the floor of your camper the tank must have been full and there fore it would be of no benefit to add anything to the tank.

brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #24
Originally Posted by HATCHET19 View Post
When I flush my black tank I never walk away. I'm just too forgetful to take that chance. So I just stand there drinking my beer and listening to the tank fill.

And they say camping isn't exciting!
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
2016 Wildwood Xlite 171 RBXL
2016 Ram 5.7L crewcab.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #25
+1 on never walking away or getting distracted!!

Had that happen to me before. I used to use a timer, but the water pressure / flow at this one campground was a lot more than I was used to. Filled the black tank (2nd flush, so was "mostly" clean) and the water came out of the toilet all over the floor and out of the roof vent.
What a mess!

I have since purchased one of these.. inexpensive and I can know exactly how much water I'm putting into the tank for each rinse!!

By the way, I don't have a tank wash, so I use this to back fill/drain the black a few times til the water runs clean.
2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2003 Ford F150 4.6L V8
172av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #26
BamaGanza FROG Promoter
Originally Posted by flagstaffman View Post
I was told that if you were to do what you did that the water would come up through your toilet and flood your bathroom floor in your camper.
That is also correct. Before flooding, It will also build pressure in your black tank that will be forcefully released when you step on the toilet pedal.

Don't ask me how I know
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:06 AM   #27
I also recommend the water meter suggested by 172av8r. In fact, I have two of them. One for the fresh water hose that I meter water when partially filling the fresh water tank, and the other on the black tank flush hose to know exactly how much water I'm using for the tank flush. I would never trust the tank level sensor system for this critical task.
2016 Flagstaff 8528IKWS Diamond Pkg.
2016 F-250 Lariat CC SRW PSD 4x4
USMC Fighter Pilot (Ret)
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:10 AM   #28
Appreciate the comments, need to agree that water came from flush line, as there was no smell at all, now and since. Have run the process twice since this happened, to double check things, no problems at all. Water meter looks like a good idea.
The Millers, enjoying life, spending the kids inheritance.

LTRVing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:41 AM   #29
I was flushing my BT this weekend at Streetsboro KOA. I went into the camper to check the level on the board and got distracted. I literally RAN around the camper to turn the water off. It was close.

2016 Rockwood 2703WS Sapphire
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCAB/3.55
Martsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #30
What I take from this post is that it was a senior member who did the damage. This is a good lesson for each of us. You don't have to be a newbee to make mistakes. That's why checklists and repetitions are good. Of course, you can checklist yourself to death . . . but it's good to be reminded to think about each task you do. Don't get in a hurry . . . even breaking down camp . . . enjoy it. You're in the great outdoors. You and the spouse have jobs that are done each time. Sometimes, I help and jump on something of the wifes. That throws her routine off. And then there's visitors while you are doing things. Life is good ! !

texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote

black, black tank, black tank flush, tank